Jailed: Six drugs suppliers who flooded Whitechapel with heroin and crack cocaine sentenced to combined total of 14 years behind bars
- Credit: Met Police
Six men were jailed for a combined total of 14 years last week for numerous drugs supply offences in Tower Hamlets, following a four-month covert surveillance operation.
The men, who were sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Thursday and Friday, were convicted following a series of police raids across east London in June and July.
The operation was part of a crackdown targeting the supply of drugs, violence and anti-social behaviour around Whitechapel.
The three men sentenced on Friday are:
Junel Ahmed, 23, of Berner Terrace, Tower Hamlets, who received three years and three months’ imprisonment after pleading guilty to the supply of crack cocaine and heroin.
You may also want to watch:
Atefur Rahman, 18, of Beadnell House, Cable Street, Tower Hamlets, who was given a two-year suspended sentence after pleading guilty to the supply of crack cocaine and heroin.
Ruhel Hussain, of Smithfield Court, Cable Street. The 18-year-old was given a two-year suspended sentence after pleading guilty on to the supply of crack cocaine and heroin and possession with intent to supply crack cocaine.
- 1 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 2 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 3 Leyton Orient sign Theo Archibald on loan from Lincoln City
- 4 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 5 Highest point reached on new homes in disused Bethnal Green car park
- 6 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 7 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 8 Bidding for Harry Kane's signed jersey open in Wapping Youth FC auction
- 9 Thames Path voted UK's No one for walking — even if blocked in places
- 10 John McDonnell is character witness for Poplar MP accused of housing fraud
Those sentenced the previous day are as follows:
Alomgir Hussain, 25, of no fixed abode, who was jailed to two years’ imprisonment after pleading guilty to being concerned in the supply of heroin and crack cocaine.
Mahmudur Hassan, 23, of Clearbrook Way, Tower Hamlets, was sentenced to three years’ behind bars after pleading guilty to the supply of crack cocaine and heroin and possession with intent to supply crack cocaine and heroin.
Mohammed Sherwaan Chowdhury, 18, of Sidney Street, Tower Hamlets, was given a two-year suspended sentence after pleading guilty to the supply of crack cocaine and heroin and possession of criminal property. He was also handed a three-month electronic curfew and 150 hours of community service.
Earlier this month 28 men were sentenced to a combined total of more than a century in jail in relation to the same operation.
The operation, known as Continuum, is a partnership between Met Police, Tower Hamlets Council and local housing associations.
A total of 52 people have been charged in connection with the investigation, with 34 men and four boys pleading guilty to 70 drug offences over the past two months, according to police.
Officers seized more than £50,000 in cash, half a kilo of Class A drugs and four stun guns during searches of more than 50 addresses.
“This has been a significant operation for Tower Hamlets and removing these men from our streets is an incredible result for the local community and London as a whole,” said Det Chief Insp Mike Hamer, Scotland Yard’s borough crime, gangs and drugs lead.
“They were all linked to the supply of crack cocaine and heroin and putting them in jail will severely disrupt the supply of drugs in the area.
“Operation Continuum responds to significant community concerns by targeting drug dealers, as well as providing addiction support for drug users. By tackling drug dealing in the area we can continue to have a positive and long-term impact on related crimes such as violent crime and anti-social behaviour.
“The continued support of our community is essential to achieve these results and I would like to thank those in our community for providing us with ongoing support. I hope these sentences demonstrate that our actions, in conjunction with Tower Hamlets Council, show we continuously act on their concerns. We will continue to dismantle crime, prosecute those people who defy the law and safeguard our community.”
A further four men will be sentenced later this year. They are:
Masoom Ali, 18, of Whitethorn House, Prusom Street, Tower Hamlets, due to be sentenced on October 3 after pleading guilty to the supply of crack cocaine and the supply of heroin.
Dilshad Chowdhury, 47, of Brady Street, Tower Hamlets, due for sentencing on October 18 after pleading guilty to the supply of crack cocaine and heroin.
Konstantinos Tsoukanas, 36, of Old Montague Street, Tower Hamlets, due to be sentenced on October 19 after pleading guilty to possession with intent to supply crack cocaine and heroin and the supply of crack cocaine and heroin.
Mohammed Maruf, 23, of Broomfield Street, Tower Hamlets, due to be sentenced on November 23 after pleading guilty to the supply of crack cocaine, the supply of heroin and possession of an imitation firearm.
Tower Hamlets mayor John Biggs said: “This is a great result for Tower Hamlets. Residents have told us that anti-social behaviour and crime associated with drugs is one of their biggest concerns, and our work with the police is tackling this head on.
“Our joint message to drug dealers is clear – we will push for the strongest penalties for those who peddle drugs in the borough.
“We will also continue to support those who are victims of drug dealing. We have some of the best services in London to support people with substance misuse issues and we will continue to do all we can to help them turn their lives around.”
Last month two men were arrested and charged with being concerned in the supply of crack cocaine and heroin.
Aaron Mahmood Clements, 32, of Turin Street, Tower Hamlets, and 24-year-old Rizwan Ahmed, of Warner Place, Tower Hamlets, appeared at Thames Magistrates’ Court on September 19 and pleaded not guilty.
They were both remanded in custody to appear at Snaresbrook Crown Court on October 17.