Jury sworn in for Old Bailey murder trial of Gemma McCluskie’s brother
- Credit: submitted
The brother of EastEnders actress Gemma McCluskie has gone on trial at the Old Bailey today charged with her murder.
McCluskie, 35, entered the dock wearing black glasses, white shirt, tie and dark grey suit.
He is accused of murdering Gemma McCluskie on March 1 last year. A plea of manslaughter has not been accepted by the prosecution.
The jury is currently being sworn in.
Deliberations have been taking place between the judge, prosecution and defence before evidence is presented to the jury.
You may also want to watch:
McCluskie pleaded guilty to manslaughter at an earlier hearing but denies murder.
Gemma’s other brother Danny McCluskie and other members of her family are in the public gallery.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 3 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 4 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 5 Trees planted to remember people who died of Covid in the East End
- 6 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 7 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
- 10 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
Gemma, 29, who played Kerry Skinner in the BBC soap in 2001, was cremated at the City of London Crematorium in Manor Park on December 12, after a funeral procession from her home at Pelter Street, Bethnal Green, where she lived with her brother Tony, and a service at St Monica’s Church in Hoxton where she had been baptised.
Her torso was found in the Regent’s Canal last March. Her head was discovered in the canal in September. She went missing after attending the opening of the new £650 million Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel.