Landlord couple fined for fire hazard after Tower Hamlets council summons
- Credit: Archant
A couple who rented out their property in a “dangerous” condition in London’s East End have been fined £14,400.
The five-storey terraced house in Bow Road, Bow, occupied by several tenants, did not comply with security, fire and electrical safety laws.
Landlords Samuel Jenyo and his wife Olusola, from Harrier Way in Beckton, were summonsed with their company, SAB Associates, and found guilty by Thames magistrates of offences under the Housing Act.
They failed to carry out “essential security, fire safety and electrical work” after 21 months which was first brought to their attention in May, 2011, magistrates heard.
Matters were still not properly dealt with when environment officers called again during a follow-up visit more than a year-and-a-half later, when the couple failed to produce an electrician’s certificate.
You may also want to watch:
There were still electrical faults, while the fire alarm system and fire doors did not comply with the safety regulations, the court was told.
Magistrate Fitz Allen-Howard commented: “Any diligent landlord should be aware of obvious faults like scorched electrical sockets.”
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
Jenyo was fined £5,800, his wife £4,300 and SAB Associates £4,300. Total fines and surcharges topped £14,760.
The summons was a warning shot from the Town Hall that “landlords have a moral duty and legal obligation to make sure homes they rent out are safe.”
Deputy Mayor Ohid Ahmed said after the hearing: “We welcome the court’s decision to penalise landlords who leave tenants in dangerous conditions.”
Fire and safety regulations for multiple-occupied dwellings apply to most private rented properties in the East End, the council points out. Advice can be given by its Environment Health department on 020-7364 5008.