Jury out on Luther Edwards Bethnal Green murder trial
- Credit: Edwards family
The jury went out today in the murder trial of the alleged killers of Luther Edwards, who was fatally stabbed in Bethnal Green.
Christopher O’Sullivan, Jerome Osbourne, Kurtis Thomas and Marlon Thomas have all been on trial at the Old Bailey accused with Luther’s murder, which took place outside York Hall after a boxing match in July 2016. All four deny the charge.
Jurors at the were told Luther Edwards 32, was ambushed in Old Ford Road and Cambridge Heath Road, before he staggered into the nearby BP garage.
The prosecution alleged that Luther was then obstructed from leaving by Mr Osbourne, who then punched him in the face outside the venue, sparking the brawl in which he lost his life.
In the brawl the father-of-two was badly beaten and stabbed in the chest and eventually collapsed on the garage forecourt.
You may also want to watch:
He was “hopelessly outnumbered”, according to the prosecution and the court heard claims that Mr O’Sullivan stabbed Luther, with a witness reporting seeing Luther jump up “like he had been electrocuted”.
CCTV footage that captured the attack on the father-of-two was previously shown in court and eye witnesses described the carnage to the jury.
- 1 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 2 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 5 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 9 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 10 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
“I have never seen so much blood in such a short amount of time,” said Elijah Johnson, Luther’s friend of ten years who was also at the fight.
He also claimed Luther said “don’t let them rush me” to him earlier in the night after getting into a ringside argument with members of the group including his alleged killers.
CCTV footage from inside the venue appeared to show the men arguing and having to be separated.
The group and Luther, who lived in south London, were there to watch the same fighter - Nico Giorgio, also known as Yosh.
One of the group, Mr Thomas, is an ex-lover of Luther’s partner, Emine Ibrahim.
He had texted her a picture of him earlier in the night calling him a “little boy”, adding “you’re with a man now”.
The prosecution alleged Kurtis Thomas was seen passing Mr Osbourne a knife on CCTV outside the venue earlier in the night, however defence lawyers argued this was a cigarette packet.