Man, 32, jailed after robbing Mile End Road betting shop
- Credit: Archant
After repeatedly targeting shops for almost a year, including Betfred in Mile End Road, Islam Uddin, of no fixed abode, pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey to seven counts of robbery, two counts of attempted robbery and nine counts of possession of a firearm with intent to commit an offence.
Officers arrested the 32-year-old, who was armed with an air pistol at the time, in December last year soon after he committed a robbery on a betting shop in Barking Road, Plaistow.
During his robberies, which also took place at Coral and Paddy Power stores in Barking Road, Plaistow, Uddin threatened staff with a pistol and demanded cash, taking around £1,500 in total.
Uddin was sentenced on Thursday to 10 years imprisonment.
Det Const Mark Waker from the Flying Squad said: “Uddin terrorised the staff at the betting shops he targeted.
You may also want to watch:
“Many of them were left extremely shaken after he threatened them with a gun.
“It was only through good fortune that nobody was seriously injured by him. This sentence means that a dangerous and violent criminal is now behind bars for a considerable time.”
- 1 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 2 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 3 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 4 Brick Lane's famous bagel shop launches delivery service
- 5 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 6 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 7 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff wants his side to impose themselves on Barrow
- 8 Voting in the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Planning Referendum
- 9 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 10 Updated appeal for information about man last seen in Poplar in January