Man, 32, jailed after robbing Mile End Road betting shop
- Credit: Archant
After repeatedly targeting shops for almost a year, including Betfred in Mile End Road, Islam Uddin, of no fixed abode, pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey to seven counts of robbery, two counts of attempted robbery and nine counts of possession of a firearm with intent to commit an offence.
Officers arrested the 32-year-old, who was armed with an air pistol at the time, in December last year soon after he committed a robbery on a betting shop in Barking Road, Plaistow.
During his robberies, which also took place at Coral and Paddy Power stores in Barking Road, Plaistow, Uddin threatened staff with a pistol and demanded cash, taking around £1,500 in total.
Uddin was sentenced on Thursday to 10 years imprisonment.
Det Const Mark Waker from the Flying Squad said: “Uddin terrorised the staff at the betting shops he targeted.
You may also want to watch:
“Many of them were left extremely shaken after he threatened them with a gun.
“It was only through good fortune that nobody was seriously injured by him. This sentence means that a dangerous and violent criminal is now behind bars for a considerable time.”
- 1 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 2 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 3 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 4 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 5 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 6 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 7 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 8 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 9 Scouts roll out new early years Squirrels programme across east London
- 10 Man who died in Mile End park named