Man, 32, jailed after robbing Mile End Road betting shop
- Credit: Archant
After repeatedly targeting shops for almost a year, including Betfred in Mile End Road, Islam Uddin, of no fixed abode, pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey to seven counts of robbery, two counts of attempted robbery and nine counts of possession of a firearm with intent to commit an offence.
Officers arrested the 32-year-old, who was armed with an air pistol at the time, in December last year soon after he committed a robbery on a betting shop in Barking Road, Plaistow.
During his robberies, which also took place at Coral and Paddy Power stores in Barking Road, Plaistow, Uddin threatened staff with a pistol and demanded cash, taking around £1,500 in total.
Uddin was sentenced on Thursday to 10 years imprisonment.
Det Const Mark Waker from the Flying Squad said: “Uddin terrorised the staff at the betting shops he targeted.
“Many of them were left extremely shaken after he threatened them with a gun.
“It was only through good fortune that nobody was seriously injured by him. This sentence means that a dangerous and violent criminal is now behind bars for a considerable time.”
- 1 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 2 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 3 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 4 Burial and cremation fees rise at City of London Cemetery and Crematorium
- 5 An afternoon you will remember: Alcohol-free comedy club returns to east London
- 6 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
- 7 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 8 One per cent council tax rise planned with borough set for balanced budget
- 9 'Government should rethink their plans': Masks still required on TfL
- 10 Wrap a Hug: baby slings bring east London parents together