Man, 32, jailed after robbing Mile End Road betting shop
- Credit: Archant
After repeatedly targeting shops for almost a year, including Betfred in Mile End Road, Islam Uddin, of no fixed abode, pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey to seven counts of robbery, two counts of attempted robbery and nine counts of possession of a firearm with intent to commit an offence.
Officers arrested the 32-year-old, who was armed with an air pistol at the time, in December last year soon after he committed a robbery on a betting shop in Barking Road, Plaistow.
During his robberies, which also took place at Coral and Paddy Power stores in Barking Road, Plaistow, Uddin threatened staff with a pistol and demanded cash, taking around £1,500 in total.
Uddin was sentenced on Thursday to 10 years imprisonment.
Det Const Mark Waker from the Flying Squad said: “Uddin terrorised the staff at the betting shops he targeted.
You may also want to watch:
“Many of them were left extremely shaken after he threatened them with a gun.
“It was only through good fortune that nobody was seriously injured by him. This sentence means that a dangerous and violent criminal is now behind bars for a considerable time.”
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 5 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 6 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 7 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 8 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 9 How seaweed can help save the planet, east London inventor reveals
- 10 Surplus DLR land released at Bow for new housing to tackle homes shortage