Son accused of killing Brick Lane bagel shop owners is unfit to stand trial
- Credit: Mike Brooke
A man accused of stabbing his mother and sister to death in their home has been deemed unfit to stand trial.
Joshua Cohen, 28, of Barnet, is charged with killing Louise Cohen, 66, and Hannah Cohen, 33, who ran the Beigel Bake business in Brick Lane.
The women were pronounced dead at their home in Golders Green, north London, on August 11 last year.
Cohen was arrested in nearby Golders Hill Park the following day and charged with two counts of murder.
He attended the Old Bailey for a hearing before Judge Nicholas Hilliard QC.
You may also want to watch:
Members of the defendant’s family sat in court as the judge ruled that he was unfit to plead.
Judge Hilliard told jurors that the defendant was unfit to stand trial due to mental illness.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 4 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 5 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 6 Barts Health NHS Trust reports one of lowest rates of vaccinated staff
- 7 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 8 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 9 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 10 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
Their task would not be to decide on whether he was guilty of any offence but if he did the act in question - caused the unlawful death of two people, he said.
The jury was sworn in to hear the trial of issue.