Son accused of killing Brick Lane bagel shop owners is unfit to stand trial
- Credit: Mike Brooke
A man accused of stabbing his mother and sister to death in their home has been deemed unfit to stand trial.
Joshua Cohen, 28, of Barnet, is charged with killing Louise Cohen, 66, and Hannah Cohen, 33, who ran the Beigel Bake business in Brick Lane.
The women were pronounced dead at their home in Golders Green, north London, on August 11 last year.
Cohen was arrested in nearby Golders Hill Park the following day and charged with two counts of murder.
He attended the Old Bailey for a hearing before Judge Nicholas Hilliard QC.
You may also want to watch:
Members of the defendant’s family sat in court as the judge ruled that he was unfit to plead.
Judge Hilliard told jurors that the defendant was unfit to stand trial due to mental illness.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 5 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
Their task would not be to decide on whether he was guilty of any offence but if he did the act in question - caused the unlawful death of two people, he said.
The jury was sworn in to hear the trial of issue.