Man accused of Wapping Woods attacks appears at Old Bailey
An alleged knifeman accused of attacking two lone women in separate incidents in Wapping Woods appeared at the Old Bailey yesterday.
Sijil Miah, 32, is accused of trying to kill one woman and slashing a second in two attacks carried out in the woods, off Garnet Street, in December last year.
He targeted his first victim, Nicola Metcalfe, 38, last December 4 before knifing the second, Ellen Wood, 26, on December 29.
Miah was due to enter pleas to charges of wounding Ms Metcalfe with intent and the attempted murder of Ms Wood.
But the case was adjourned to allow psychiatric reports to be prepared.
You may also want to watch:
Miah, of Burwell Close, Shadwell, will next appear in court on May 9. A provisional trial date has been set for June 24.
The attacks caused outrage among Wapping residents, who accused police neglecting safety in the area during a public meeting.
- 1 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 2 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 3 Beer gardens reopening with face marks, sanitisers and cobblestones
- 4 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike
- 5 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 6 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 7 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 8 Hundreds of customers descend on reopened retailers
- 9 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
- 10 Jailed: Smash-and-grab perfume raiders get 18 years between them