Man accused of Wapping Woods attacks appears at Old Bailey
An alleged knifeman accused of attacking two lone women in separate incidents in Wapping Woods appeared at the Old Bailey yesterday.
Sijil Miah, 32, is accused of trying to kill one woman and slashing a second in two attacks carried out in the woods, off Garnet Street, in December last year.
He targeted his first victim, Nicola Metcalfe, 38, last December 4 before knifing the second, Ellen Wood, 26, on December 29.
Miah was due to enter pleas to charges of wounding Ms Metcalfe with intent and the attempted murder of Ms Wood.
But the case was adjourned to allow psychiatric reports to be prepared.
You may also want to watch:
Miah, of Burwell Close, Shadwell, will next appear in court on May 9. A provisional trial date has been set for June 24.
The attacks caused outrage among Wapping residents, who accused police neglecting safety in the area during a public meeting.
- 1 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 4 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 5 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 8 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 9 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided