Man accused of Wapping Woods attacks appears at Old Bailey
An alleged knifeman accused of attacking two lone women in separate incidents in Wapping Woods appeared at the Old Bailey yesterday.
Sijil Miah, 32, is accused of trying to kill one woman and slashing a second in two attacks carried out in the woods, off Garnet Street, in December last year.
He targeted his first victim, Nicola Metcalfe, 38, last December 4 before knifing the second, Ellen Wood, 26, on December 29.
Miah was due to enter pleas to charges of wounding Ms Metcalfe with intent and the attempted murder of Ms Wood.
But the case was adjourned to allow psychiatric reports to be prepared.
You may also want to watch:
Miah, of Burwell Close, Shadwell, will next appear in court on May 9. A provisional trial date has been set for June 24.
The attacks caused outrage among Wapping residents, who accused police neglecting safety in the area during a public meeting.
- 1 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 4 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 5 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 6 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 7 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff
- 8 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 9 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 10 Tokyo 2020: Poplar children have their own 'Olympics'