Man appears in court accused of attack on American student in Whitechapel
A 20-year-old man has appeared in court charged with grievous bodily harm after an alleged attack on an American student was caught on CCTV.
Shaleem Uddin, of Romford Street, Whitechapel, was remanded in custody after appearing at Thames Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
He is accused of being one of five Asian men shown in a video released by police apparently showing an assault on American student Francesco Hounye, 22.
Mr Hounye was on his way back to a friend’s house in Whitechapel after a night out in Brick Lane when he is alleged to have been attacked in Commercial Road, Whitechapel, just after midnight on June 17.
He had arrived in London from Florida just three days before the incident happened.
You may also want to watch:
Police said they believe he was targeted because he was “obviously not local”, adding that he speaks with an Italian accent and has his own style of dress.
Detectives are continuing to appeal for witnesses to the incident. No other arrests have so far been made.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 9 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 10 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
Uddin will next appear at Snaresbrook Crown Court on November 8.