Man appears in court accused of attack on American student in Whitechapel
A 20-year-old man has appeared in court charged with grievous bodily harm after an alleged attack on an American student was caught on CCTV.
Shaleem Uddin, of Romford Street, Whitechapel, was remanded in custody after appearing at Thames Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
He is accused of being one of five Asian men shown in a video released by police apparently showing an assault on American student Francesco Hounye, 22.
Mr Hounye was on his way back to a friend’s house in Whitechapel after a night out in Brick Lane when he is alleged to have been attacked in Commercial Road, Whitechapel, just after midnight on June 17.
He had arrived in London from Florida just three days before the incident happened.
You may also want to watch:
Police said they believe he was targeted because he was “obviously not local”, adding that he speaks with an Italian accent and has his own style of dress.
Detectives are continuing to appeal for witnesses to the incident. No other arrests have so far been made.
- 1 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 2 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 3 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 7 Ruel Sotiriou has a big role to play for Leyton Orient says boss Jackett
- 8 Man found stabbed on board night bus
- 9 'Ballet at its absolute best' coming to Canary Wharf this weekend
- 10 Kitchen blaze sees warning issued over 'strange noises' from appliances
Uddin will next appear at Snaresbrook Crown Court on November 8.