Man appears in court accused of attack on American student in Whitechapel
A 20-year-old man has appeared in court charged with grievous bodily harm after an alleged attack on an American student was caught on CCTV.
Shaleem Uddin, of Romford Street, Whitechapel, was remanded in custody after appearing at Thames Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
He is accused of being one of five Asian men shown in a video released by police apparently showing an assault on American student Francesco Hounye, 22.
Mr Hounye was on his way back to a friend’s house in Whitechapel after a night out in Brick Lane when he is alleged to have been attacked in Commercial Road, Whitechapel, just after midnight on June 17.
He had arrived in London from Florida just three days before the incident happened.
You may also want to watch:
Police said they believe he was targeted because he was “obviously not local”, adding that he speaks with an Italian accent and has his own style of dress.
Detectives are continuing to appeal for witnesses to the incident. No other arrests have so far been made.
- 1 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 3 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 4 John McDonnell is character witness for Poplar MP accused of housing fraud
- 5 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London
- 6 Driver demo blocks Uber's Whitechapel HQ in termination appeals dispute
- 7 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 8 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 9 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 10 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
Uddin will next appear at Snaresbrook Crown Court on November 8.