Man in court charged with fatal stabbing of Ajmol Alom as police arrest a third suspect
- Credit: Archant
A 19-year-old man appeared in court today charged with murdering star pupil Ajmol Alom after police arrested a third suspect.
Aminur Khan, of Robin Hood Gardens in Poplar is accused of stabbing 16-year-old Langdon Park School pupil Ajmol to death on Monday night.
Ajmol, who was described by his headteacher Chris Dunne as “a delightful young man”, suffered a fatal wound to the thigh during the incident in Spey Street, Poplar.
Khan is also charged with the attempted murder of Ajmol’s friend Azime Rob, also 16, who was stabbed through the cheek.
Both were taken to hospital, where Ajmol died. A post-mortem examination showed the stab wound to Ajmol’s leg had been fatal.
You may also want to watch:
Khan, who wore a grey T-shirt in the dock at Thames Magistrates’ Court in Bow, spoke only to confirm his name, age and address during the two-minute hearing. District Judge Gareth Branston remanded Khan in custody and told him he will next appear at the Old Bailey on Monday.
A 21-year-old man from the Poplar area was arrested this morning and is being held at an east London police station.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 9 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
- 10 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
A further 19-year-old was arrested on Tuesday on suspicion of murder and remains in custody at an east London police station.