Man in court charged with fatal stabbing of Ajmol Alom as police arrest a third suspect
- Credit: Archant
A 19-year-old man appeared in court today charged with murdering star pupil Ajmol Alom after police arrested a third suspect.
Aminur Khan, of Robin Hood Gardens in Poplar is accused of stabbing 16-year-old Langdon Park School pupil Ajmol to death on Monday night.
Ajmol, who was described by his headteacher Chris Dunne as “a delightful young man”, suffered a fatal wound to the thigh during the incident in Spey Street, Poplar.
Khan is also charged with the attempted murder of Ajmol’s friend Azime Rob, also 16, who was stabbed through the cheek.
Both were taken to hospital, where Ajmol died. A post-mortem examination showed the stab wound to Ajmol’s leg had been fatal.
You may also want to watch:
Khan, who wore a grey T-shirt in the dock at Thames Magistrates’ Court in Bow, spoke only to confirm his name, age and address during the two-minute hearing. District Judge Gareth Branston remanded Khan in custody and told him he will next appear at the Old Bailey on Monday.
A 21-year-old man from the Poplar area was arrested this morning and is being held at an east London police station.
- 1 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 2 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 3 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 4 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 5 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 6 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 7 Orient boss McAnuff determined to not help Salford City into the play-offs
- 8 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 9 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 10 East London venue to host big-screen Euro 2020 football fanzone
A further 19-year-old was arrested on Tuesday on suspicion of murder and remains in custody at an east London police station.