Man jailed after bashing partner in Poplar with frying pan in row about a text message
- Credit: MPS
A man who whacked his partner with a frying pan 20 times following a trivial argument over a text message has been jailed for six years.
Hugh Nelson, 53, was enraged after his 35-year-old partner sent a text to someone in the middle of the night at her home in Poplar.
He grabbed a ceramic pan and struck her with full force, then hit her on the head and stamping on her legs and ankles, demanding to know who she had been texting.
He left the house after the attack on May 12, but was arrested the next day.
“Nelson behaved savagely towards his partner for many years,” Det Sgt Robert Brown said. “He exhibited many signs of a highly successful life while hiding a violent and controlling character.”
You may also want to watch:
Nelson, from Hornsey in north London, was found guilty at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Monday of GBH and two earlier attacks in November.
- 1 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 2 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 4 Green light for £1m in levies to be used for East End fire rescue ladder
- 5 'Laughing gas central': Call for action on antisocial behaviour
- 6 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
- 7 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 8 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 9 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking