Jailed: Spitalfields man who spat at police officer
- Credit: Met Police
A man who spat at and kicked a woman police office while being treated in hospital has been jailed.
Steven Bennett, a 47-year-old from Brick Lane in Spitalfields, had been stopped in the street in Kennington, south London, for breaching bail conditions that prohibited him from being in the area.
He was taken to hospital showing signs of being unwell. But Bennett became aggressive at the hospital and spat at one of the officers and kicked her. He was charged with assaulting an emergency worker, threatening behaviour and possessing cannabis at Kennington Park Road.
“The officer was not seriously injured,” Sgt David Smith said. “But that doesn't make his behaviour acceptable.
“Police spend their working lives protecting the public and for them to be attacked will not be tolerated.”
You may also want to watch:
Bennett pleaded guilty at Croydon Magistrates' Court on February 8 and jailed for three months and ordered to pay £100 to the officer. The cannabis charge was not proceeded with.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Brigade issues fire safety warning after Limehouse studio blaze
- 3 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 4 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 5 Khalid Ali couldn't hide delight after winning start against Dean Wilkinson
- 6 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 7 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 8 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 9 Families tell developers what's needed on Poplar's Teviot estate at fun day
- 10 Leyton Orient without Tom James for trip to Port Vale