Jailed: Spitalfields man who spat at police officer
- Credit: Met Police
A man who spat at and kicked a woman police office while being treated in hospital has been jailed.
Steven Bennett, a 47-year-old from Brick Lane in Spitalfields, had been stopped in the street in Kennington, south London, for breaching bail conditions that prohibited him from being in the area.
He was taken to hospital showing signs of being unwell. But Bennett became aggressive at the hospital and spat at one of the officers and kicked her. He was charged with assaulting an emergency worker, threatening behaviour and possessing cannabis at Kennington Park Road.
“The officer was not seriously injured,” Sgt David Smith said. “But that doesn't make his behaviour acceptable.
“Police spend their working lives protecting the public and for them to be attacked will not be tolerated.”
You may also want to watch:
Bennett pleaded guilty at Croydon Magistrates' Court on February 8 and jailed for three months and ordered to pay £100 to the officer. The cannabis charge was not proceeded with.
- 1 Stepney Green hero volunteering seven days a week since pandemic began
- 2 Arrests as police step up drugs raids
- 3 World Book Day: Notorious football fan 'Mr West Ham' sets record straight
- 4 Why Tower Hamlets should be a 'royal' borough after Covid
- 5 Jailed: East End county lines dealers who peddled heroin and crack cocaine
- 6 'War of words' at Tower Hamlets cabinet meeting stops library closures
- 7 Hunt for three men after 90-year-old's Bethnal Green home is burgled
- 8 Chinese embassy: Councillors raise concerns over plans
- 9 Illegal rave raided by police at disused railway arch in Bow
- 10 How many Covid-19 vaccinations have been given where you live?