Man threatened Muslim woman because she was dressed in western clothing
- Credit: Archant
Police are urging Muslim women who have been intimidated or threatened for wearing western clothing to come forward.
Detectives have made the appeal after a man was today sentenced for threatening a female worker at a health centre in Bromley-By-Bow because of the way she was dressed.
Snaresbrook Crown Court heard Mohammed Amin also hurled abuse at a doctor he believed was a Christian and threatened him with violence if he was reported to police.
The 37-year-old, from Walthamstow, entered St Andrew’s Health Centre and gave a note to the Muslim worker stating that she was not following the Islamic dress code.
When her colleague confronted him he made threats towards the woman he gave the note to before targeting the doctor.
You may also want to watch:
Today he was sentenced to an 18 month community order after being convicted of two counts of racially/religiously aggravated Section 4 Public Order Act offences against NHS staff on February 7.
Det Con Ami Henderson of the Met’s Central East Command Unit said: “We believe Amin regularly approached Muslim women, or women he perceived to be Muslim, in Tower Hamlets and confronted them about their appearance.
- 1 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 2 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 3 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 4 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 5 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 6 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
- 7 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 8 Campaigners oppose plans to change voting system for Tower Hamlets mayor
- 9 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 10 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
“I commend the two victims at the health centre for coming forward and giving evidence at court.
“Anyone else who has been confronted in this way is asked to call police on 101.”
Amin will also have to complete a 10 day rehabilitation requirement, 100 hours unpaid work and pay costs of £85.00.