Man threatened Muslim woman because she was dressed in western clothing
- Credit: Archant
Police are urging Muslim women who have been intimidated or threatened for wearing western clothing to come forward.
Detectives have made the appeal after a man was today sentenced for threatening a female worker at a health centre in Bromley-By-Bow because of the way she was dressed.
Snaresbrook Crown Court heard Mohammed Amin also hurled abuse at a doctor he believed was a Christian and threatened him with violence if he was reported to police.
The 37-year-old, from Walthamstow, entered St Andrew’s Health Centre and gave a note to the Muslim worker stating that she was not following the Islamic dress code.
When her colleague confronted him he made threats towards the woman he gave the note to before targeting the doctor.
You may also want to watch:
Today he was sentenced to an 18 month community order after being convicted of two counts of racially/religiously aggravated Section 4 Public Order Act offences against NHS staff on February 7.
Det Con Ami Henderson of the Met’s Central East Command Unit said: “We believe Amin regularly approached Muslim women, or women he perceived to be Muslim, in Tower Hamlets and confronted them about their appearance.
- 1 Beer gardens reopening with face masks, sanitisers and cobblestones
- 2 Mother and son taken to hospital during "severe" fire in Bow
- 3 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 4 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 5 Hundreds of customers descend on reopened retailers
- 6 Here's why people stay longer in the East End despite the crime
- 7 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 8 Volunteers take food for Ramadan to neighbours on Isle of Dogs
- 9 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 10 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
“I commend the two victims at the health centre for coming forward and giving evidence at court.
“Anyone else who has been confronted in this way is asked to call police on 101.”
Amin will also have to complete a 10 day rehabilitation requirement, 100 hours unpaid work and pay costs of £85.00.