Man suspected of stealing £1,600 wanted after nine armed robberies
- Credit: Archant
Police are searching for a man suspected of stealing £1,600 in nine armed robberies across east London bookies, including five in the borough.
The suspect, shown in CCTV stills above, is wanted after The Betfred in Mile End Road, Stepney Green, was targeted four times, with a man entering the shop at 12.50pm on March 21 and making off with cash after threatening a staff member with a suspected firearm before heading toward Stepney Green station. Police say he committed “similar offences” on October 27, November 23 and on Thursday.
Police were also called to Paddy Power in Whitechapel Road, Whitechapel, on Tuesday after a man threatened a staff member with a suspected firearm while demanding cash. He left empty handed after the staff member was able to leave the area safely.
He is also wanted in connection with three “terrifying” robberies at Coral in Barking Road, Plaistow.
In the first offence on February 10 at 7pm a man demanded cash at the counter, threatening a member of staff with a suspected firearm. The staff member gave him cash and he left, only for the shop to be targeted the same way on November 21 and December 9.
In the same road on February 28, a man entered Paddy Power at 12.45pm, threatening a member of staff behind the till. After being confronted by a customer, he fled with nothing in the direction of Warmington Street.
Police want to speak to the man captured on CCTV, who is described as an Asian man in his thirties and of medium build.
- 1 Bethnal Green officers sacked over 'abhorrent and discriminatory' messages
- 2 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 3 Archie Battersbee case to be reconsidered in High Court
- 4 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 5 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 6 Former Tower Hamlets councillor publishes autobiography on life as a hijabi woman
- 7 1888 Match Girls’ Strike marked with blue plaque in east London
- 8 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 9 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 10 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
Detective Constable Tom Boor from the Metropolitan Police Flying Squad called on the public to assist.
“These robberies have been terrifying for the victims, and it is very fortunate that no one has been physically injured,” he said. “Someone must recognise the man and we would urge anyone who does know him to contact the police or Crimestoppers as soon as possible.”
Anyone with any information can call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.