McCluskie murder trial: Brother told cabbie ‘I have my sister in suitcase’
The Brother Of Eastenders Actress Gemma Mccluskie Told A Minicab Driver He Was Carrying His Sister In His Suitcase, A Murder Trial Heard Today (Fri).
- Credit: submitted
Window cleaner Tony McCluskie, 35, is accused of murdering 29-year-old Gemma last March, dismembering her body and taking it in the minicab to be dumped in the Regent’s Canal.
He booked the cab to take him to the canal from the flat they shared in Pelter Street, Bethnal Green, and was seen on CCTV pulling the luggage along the towpath at around 10.35pm on March 2—before dumping it into the water.
Gemma’s torso was recovered four days later. The head was found six months after that.
“I asked him what was in the bag,” minicab driver Jilul Haque told the Old Bailey.
“He replied it is his ‘system’—I assumed it was a stereo or something.
“He lifted it—it looked very heavy.”
But McCluskie’s barrister Jeremy Dein suggested Mr Haque misheard the word “sister” and thought he said “system.”
- 1 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 2 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 3 'Lucky' escape: Family flees Bethnal Green fire thanks to fire alarms
- 4 Mile End: Car crashes into bus stop during police pursuit
- 5 Jailed: 9 east London offenders put behind bars in April
- 6 Night Tube services to return on Jubilee line next week
- 7 Baby boy died from 'whiplash' injuries caused by shaking, trial hears
- 8 12 people charged following east London drugs bust
- 9 Wiley wanted after court no-show amid assault and burglary charges
- 10 Aspire 'will work for everyone in Tower Hamlets' after winning majority
The QC added: “The two words are very similar—it’s possible thinking back that he said ‘sister’, not ‘system’?”
The cabbie opened the boot when they arrived in Kingsland Road and watched McCluskie drag the suitcase down a cul-de-sac to the canal.
A camera recorded McCluskie dragging the suitcase down the towpath at around 10.55pm. He was later seen on several cameras walking back to Pelter Street.
He is alleged to have murdered Gemma after a row over leaving taps on and flooding the bathroom, beating her over the head with a blunt object, then dismembering her body with a meat cleaver.
His lawyers have suggested there was a struggle and Gemma may have fallen back and fractured her skull.
McCluskie admits manslaughter but denies murder. The trial continues.