Mile End stabbing murder: Victim named locally as Syed Jamanoor Islam
- Credit: Archant
A 20-year-old man stabbed to death in Mile End has been named locally as Syed Jamanoor Islam.
The former Tower Hamlets College student was pronounced dead at just after 5.30pm in Wagner Street, yesterday after being attacked by a group of men just yards from his home.
Police said they believed the victim was with friends when he was approached and set upon. A witness said his mother was with him at the time.
One neighbour described Syed as “very quiet” and someone “who was always involved in community things”.
Another 16-year-old teenager, who knew Syed, said he was concerned about what had happened.
You may also want to watch:
“I have got a younger brother,” he said. “ I do not want him growing up with this kind of stuff.”
Staff working in a nearby bakery said the boys who came inside were often friendly and there was “no tension” among different race groups.
- 1 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 7 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 8 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel
One employee said: “All the kids are really nice. I have seen them grow up since they were little.”
A spokesman for Tower Hamlets College confirmed Syed had studied Level 3 BTEC Business at the college and left in 2015.
He said: “We are very saddened that the life of a young man with so much potential has been taken. Our thoughts are with his family at this tragic time.”
Commenting on the stabbing, mayor of Tower Hamlets John Biggs said:
“I’m extremely saddened by the fatal stabbing in Mile End last night. I have already met the victim’s family to offer my deepest condolences and to extend the council’s full support to them at this difficult time.
He added: “Dealing with knife crime is a clear priority for our borough and one I know the police and Mayor of London take very seriously.”
Parts of the Wager Street estate remained on lockdown earlier as police searched the grounds for evidence relating to the murder.
Witnesses said they saw family members and neighbours rush to help Mr Islam as he was attacked.
A 18-year-old man has since been arrested on suspicion of murder and remains in custody.
Anyone with information should call the incident room on 020 8721 4868 or via @MetCC.
Alternatively call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.