Two suspected moped phone snatchers arrested following police chase through east London
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Two suspected phone snatchers have been arrested following a police chase through east and south London which ended when their moped crashed with a van.
The pursuit began in Bethnal Green after officers were called to reports of two males on a moped trying to snatch phones in Hackney.
A police helicopter assisted officers as they chased the moped through East India Dock Road and Tower Hill before crossing Tower Bridge into Southwark.
Officers were then able to spray the two males with a DNA solution that would link them to the pursuit before the moped crashed with a van.
The pair tried to flee on foot but were held and arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to rob and driving offences.
You may also want to watch:
Both are being questioned at a police station in south London.
Chief Superintendent Dave Stringer, Met’s head of community engagement, said: “The Met is working hard to keep the public safe and make the streets hostile territory for criminals who use scooters, mopeds and motorbikes for theft and robbery offences.”
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 9 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 10 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
Road closures in Southwark are currently in place.