Two suspected moped phone snatchers arrested following police chase through east London
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Two suspected phone snatchers have been arrested following a police chase through east and south London which ended when their moped crashed with a van.
The pursuit began in Bethnal Green after officers were called to reports of two males on a moped trying to snatch phones in Hackney.
A police helicopter assisted officers as they chased the moped through East India Dock Road and Tower Hill before crossing Tower Bridge into Southwark.
Officers were then able to spray the two males with a DNA solution that would link them to the pursuit before the moped crashed with a van.
The pair tried to flee on foot but were held and arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to rob and driving offences.
You may also want to watch:
Both are being questioned at a police station in south London.
Chief Superintendent Dave Stringer, Met’s head of community engagement, said: “The Met is working hard to keep the public safe and make the streets hostile territory for criminals who use scooters, mopeds and motorbikes for theft and robbery offences.”
- 1 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 5 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 7 'That is what this club is about' as Mark Noble wants to find West Ham fan
- 8 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 9 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 10 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
Road closures in Southwark are currently in place.