Two suspected moped phone snatchers arrested following police chase through east London
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Two suspected phone snatchers have been arrested following a police chase through east and south London which ended when their moped crashed with a van.
The pursuit began in Bethnal Green after officers were called to reports of two males on a moped trying to snatch phones in Hackney.
A police helicopter assisted officers as they chased the moped through East India Dock Road and Tower Hill before crossing Tower Bridge into Southwark.
Officers were then able to spray the two males with a DNA solution that would link them to the pursuit before the moped crashed with a van.
The pair tried to flee on foot but were held and arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to rob and driving offences.
You may also want to watch:
Both are being questioned at a police station in south London.
Chief Superintendent Dave Stringer, Met’s head of community engagement, said: “The Met is working hard to keep the public safe and make the streets hostile territory for criminals who use scooters, mopeds and motorbikes for theft and robbery offences.”
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 2 Refugee fighting £2,850 claim in lettings agency dispute
- 3 Cyclist in critical condition after 'serious collision' in Bow
- 4 Shoppers queue for bread on opening weekend of new Wapping street market
- 5 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 6 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 7 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 8 Brick Lane's famous bagel shop launches delivery service
- 9 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 10 Jobi McAnuff reveals focus is on run-in, rather taking O's job permanently
Road closures in Southwark are currently in place.