More CCTV images released in Isle of Dogs Russian banker shooting
The Russian banker shot by a wouldbe assassin as he arrived home to his apartment block on the Isle of Dogs in March has been speaking about his ordeal.
German Gorbuntsov was hit several times moments after getting out of a cab at the entrance to the eight-storey block in Millwall’s Byng Street, near Canary Wharf.
He is recovering in hospital four months on—but talks of his “uncertain” future.
“They found six bullets inside me,” he said. “I was badly injured and badly affected.
“I have serious internal damage to my body and still haven’t seen a single doctor who is absolutely convinced it will be fine.
You may also want to watch:
“I will make it—but I will be disabled. My future is uncertain.”
The 45-year-old banking magnate who owned banks in Russia and Moldova remains in a stable condition.
- 1 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 2 Drivers fight Tower Hamlets for years over 'clamping on private land'
- 3 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 4 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 5 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 6 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 7 'Earn while you learn' new degree course for students from any background
- 8 Waste bin by the Thames used as 'lifebuoy' to save marine life
- 9 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
“This has changed my whole life,” Mr Gorbunstov added. “The worst feeling is that guy shot me and probably very much hoped he had killed me.”
He was speaking as Scotland Yard released more CCTV images in their appeal for witnesses.
The images show a suspect on camera at Canary Wharf station minutes before and minutes after the shooting at 7.30pm on March 20.
He is seen on the Jubilee Line platform, as well as coming up the escalator. He was also seen wearing a hooded top in Manilla Street, close to where Mr Gorbuntsov was shot.
Detective Chief Insp Russell Taylor, from the Homicide and Serious Crime Command, said: “A hooded top similar to the one the man is seen wearing was found in bushes nearby, along with a gun and a fake black leather bag.
“A man is seen leaving the station with a bag minutes before the shooting and later seen getting back on the platform without the bag shortly after the shooting.”
The suspect, white, 6ft tall, slim, was wearing a dark hooded top when he was seen running from Byng Street through Bellamy Close towards Marsh Wall.
Detectives are also appealing for the cab driver who took Mr Gorbuntsov to Byng Street from Bishopsgate on March 20 to come forward.
The gun used in the shooting, a 9mm Makarov pistol, was discovered in bushes in Marsh Wall near the corner of Manilla Street.
Police are urging witnesses or anyone with information to call the incident room on 020-8721 4868, or anonymously Crimestoppers on 0800-555111.