More weapons found in police ‘sweeps’ on Bethnal Green and Mile End housing estates
- Credit: MPS
Police have uncovered more hidden weapons during ‘sweeps’ in east London when they returned to search two housing estates in Bethnal Green and Mile End.
Patrols went back to the Cranbrook Estate off Roman Road and to Mile End’s Bancroft Estate for the second time in six months.
They discovered weapons hidden next to the wooden cladding of a footpath in Grand Junction Walk and Pigment Square near the Regent’s Canal.
More knives were found hidden in bushes at Bancroft in the second sweep there in six months.
The pilot series of sweeps kicked off there in July with an initial success when officers retrieved a deadly 10ins zombie knife taped to the back of an electric cable junction box.
You may also want to watch:
Officers from the Met’s Tower Hamlets gang unit at Bethnal Green began the scheme last summer with community faith leaders from synagogues, churches and mosques invited to join the first of a series of regular searches.
The community-based ‘flash’ searches started in the East End have since been tested across London.
- 1 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 2 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike
- 4 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 5 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 6 Woman from Limehouse charged after Kill the Bill protest
- 7 Fire crews fight blaze in railway arch in Bow
- 8 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 9 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
- 10 Appeal for dashcam footage following stabbing in Stepney churchyard