More weapons found in police ‘sweeps’ on Bethnal Green and Mile End housing estates
- Credit: MPS
Police have uncovered more hidden weapons during ‘sweeps’ in east London when they returned to search two housing estates in Bethnal Green and Mile End.
Patrols went back to the Cranbrook Estate off Roman Road and to Mile End’s Bancroft Estate for the second time in six months.
They discovered weapons hidden next to the wooden cladding of a footpath in Grand Junction Walk and Pigment Square near the Regent’s Canal.
More knives were found hidden in bushes at Bancroft in the second sweep there in six months.
The pilot series of sweeps kicked off there in July with an initial success when officers retrieved a deadly 10ins zombie knife taped to the back of an electric cable junction box.
You may also want to watch:
Officers from the Met’s Tower Hamlets gang unit at Bethnal Green began the scheme last summer with community faith leaders from synagogues, churches and mosques invited to join the first of a series of regular searches.
The community-based ‘flash’ searches started in the East End have since been tested across London.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns