More weapons found in police ‘sweeps’ on Bethnal Green and Mile End housing estates
- Credit: MPS
Police have uncovered more hidden weapons during ‘sweeps’ in east London when they returned to search two housing estates in Bethnal Green and Mile End.
Patrols went back to the Cranbrook Estate off Roman Road and to Mile End’s Bancroft Estate for the second time in six months.
They discovered weapons hidden next to the wooden cladding of a footpath in Grand Junction Walk and Pigment Square near the Regent’s Canal.
More knives were found hidden in bushes at Bancroft in the second sweep there in six months.
The pilot series of sweeps kicked off there in July with an initial success when officers retrieved a deadly 10ins zombie knife taped to the back of an electric cable junction box.
You may also want to watch:
Officers from the Met’s Tower Hamlets gang unit at Bethnal Green began the scheme last summer with community faith leaders from synagogues, churches and mosques invited to join the first of a series of regular searches.
The community-based ‘flash’ searches started in the East End have since been tested across London.
- 1 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 2 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 3 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 4 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 5 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 6 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff
- 7 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 8 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 9 Tokyo 2020: Poplar children have their own 'Olympics'
- 10 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?