Mum, 19, gets 2 years suspended for killing 4-month-old baby in Mile End
A teenage mum has been sentenced today after admitting killing her four-month-old baby girl in London’s East End.
The 19-year-old pleaded guilty to manslaughter after her baby was rushed to hospital from an address at Ackroid Drive, off Burdett Road in Mile End.
She also pleaded guilty at a previous hearing at Snaresbrook crown court to charges of child cruelty to two other children.
The woman, who isn’t being named to protect the identity of her suviving children, has been given an 18-month sentence, suspended for two years, for manslaughter and nine months each on two counts of child cruelty, suspended for two years.
She was also given two-year supervision and residence orders, a prohibition order preventing her entering the London boroughs of Tower Hamlets, Brent and Westminster, and an order for two years preventing her from supervising children under the age of 11.
Police were called in by London Ambulance Service at 5.30pm on October 4 after the baby was taken to hospital from the woman’s address.
The baby was pronounced dead at the hospital 15 minutes later.
- 1 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 2 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 3 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 4 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 5 Woman treated at scene as 40 firefighters called to Bow tower block
- 6 Former Tower Hamlets councillor publishes autobiography on life as a hijabi woman
- 7 Census 2021 indicates baby boom in one east London borough
- 8 Latest data shows Covid admissions rising again at east London hospitals
- 9 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 10 Council rapped by ombudsman after not following safeguarding procedures
A post-mortem examination found cause of death to be severe acute malnutrition and dehydration.
The baby’s death was investigated by detectives from the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command.
The mother, who was 18 at the time, was arrested the same day and later charged.