Murder investigation after pensioner found dead in Shadwell care home
- Credit: Archant
A murder investigation is underway after an elderly woman was found dead in the room of her care home last week.
Margery Gilbey, 88, was discovered by staff at Sonali Gardens sheltered accommodation in Sutton Street, Shadwell on Friday afternoon.
A 17-year-old youth from Romford appeared at Stratford Magistrate’s Court on Monday charged with her murder, with detectives describing the incident as “aggravated burglary”.
The pensioner had been living in the first floor flat for 10 weeks.
Chris Munday, who is managing director of Sanctuary Supported Living, which runs the home, said: “We were deeply shocked and saddened by Margery Gilbey’s death and our thoughts are with her family.
“Margery was a very kind and gentle lady and will be greatly missed by our staff and all who knew her.”
He reassured residents that the group is working with police to ensure the home , which has 30 one bedroom flats and 10 two bedroom flats, is secure.
- 1 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 2 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 3 Tower Hamlets neighbours must 'temporarily leave' and pay £85k for building repairs
- 4 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 5 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 6 Police looking for missing man last seen leaving hospital
- 7 Covid: Weekly admissions halve as patient counts drop to July 2021 levels
- 8 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 9 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 10 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in east London
Investigating officer Det Ch Insp Graeme Gwyne said it was unclear whether anything had been stolen during the alleged burglary.
The 17-year-old youth charged with murder was arrested at an east London address on Friday evening, and a 23-year-old man has been bailed pending further enquiries after he was arrested in the vicinity of the care home on Friday.
Police urged anyone who saw anything suspicious in the vicinity to contact them on 020 8721 4805, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.