Murder probe after man, 79, dies and 2 children are stabbed in Bethnal Green
- Credit: Google images
A murder investigation has been launched in London’s East End following the death of a man in his late 70s in Bethnal Green and the stabbing of two children including a two-year-old toddler.
Police were called by the London Ambulance Service needing help at an incident just before 7pm last night at an address in Huddleston Close, behind Russia Lane.
Officers arriving at the scene off Cambridge Heath Road found five people with injures, Scotland Yard confirmed this-afternoon.
The two-year-old boy and an 11-year-old girl were among those being treated for stab wounds, while an older boy of 13 was found with minor injuries.
All three children were taken to hospital where they currently remain in a stable condition.
You may also want to watch:
The 79-year-old man was found with stab injures and was rushed to hospital, but died three hours later at 10pm.
A 31-year-old man was found with self-inflicted injuries and was taken to hospital where he remains in a stable condition.
- 1 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 2 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 3 Beer gardens reopening with face marks, sanitisers and cobblestones
- 4 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 5 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike
- 6 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 7 Hundreds of customers descend on reopened retailers
- 8 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 9 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
- 10 Jailed: Smash-and-grab perfume raiders get 18 years between them
He has been arrested by detectives “on suspicion of murder” and is to be taken to a police station for questioning after his release from hospital, police said.
Next of kin have been informed. Formal identification and a post-mortem examination will be scheduled later.
Detectives from the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command investigating the stabbings say they are keeping an open mind about the motive. They are not seeking anyone else in connection with the incident.