Neighbours describe scenes of horror as paramedics tended to Bromley-by-Bow shooting victim
People living in a Bromley-by-Bow street have described the aftermath to a shooting which left a 42-year-old man suffering from multiple gunshot wounds.
Police are hunting two male suspects after the victim was found in an underpass at the corner of Rounton Road and Knapp Road at around 10.20pm on Friday.
He was riding a bicycle in Rounton Road when the men opened fire on him with handguns.
He was shot in the head and is now in a critical but stable condition in an east London hospital.
Neighbours described witnessing the aftermath from a balcony above the underpass, which is next to Clara Grant Primary School, and seeing paramedics tend to the bleeding man.
You may also want to watch:
Fatima Aziza, 43, of Rounton Road, said: “I heard four or five loud bangs which I thought were fireworks at first.”
London Ambulance Service and Air Ambulance attended the scene and witnesses said they remained there with the man until about 11pm.
- 1 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 2 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 3 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 6 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 7 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 8 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 9 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
Sadia Islam, nine, also of Rounton Road, said: “He was unconscious and bleeding all over his body.
“I saw a doctor pumping on his chest to help him.
“A lot of people ran away from the scene as well, about 16 or 17 people.
“I don’t think they were involved, they were just trying to get away.”
Both witnesses said the victim was a white male but they did not see any distinguishing features on him.
Police are looking for two men, described as Asian or black, who were wearing face coverings and who made off towards Knapp Road and got into a car.
They have not established the motive for the shooting so far.
The underpass where he was found was cordoned off until yesterday evening and another neighbour said the area was a frequent hang-out for people to drink at night.