Police appeal for witnesses to Whitechapel fatal car accident
Traffic police are appealing for witnesses after a driver involved a fatal collision with a pedestrian in Whitechapel made off from the scene.
Police were called to a car on its side at White Horse Lane near the junction with Shandy Street at about 9.20pm on Tuesday November 16.
The BMW 318i convertible had been in collision with 75-year-old Mary Devine from the Stepney Green area who was confirmed dead at the scene.
A post mortem examination at Poplar Mortuary gave the cause of death as multiple injuries.
Passers-by helped the driver from the vehicle but he made off on foot before police arrived.
Members of the public helped the driver from the vehicle, but he made off on foot prior to police arrival.
Detective Sergeant Joe Lock, from the Road Death Investigation Unit based at Chadwell Heath which is investigating said: “Police are appealing for witnesses to the incident, especially those who may have helped the driver out of the car.
- 1 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 2 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 3 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 4 Councillor says he 'hopes to lose' next election
- 5 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 6 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 7 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 8 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 9 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 10 Orient have to settle for point against Port Vale
“We need to trace this man as soon as a possible. He is described as a young Asian man, though we have no better description at present.
“He may have suffered some injuries himself.”
Witnesses are urged to call the Chadwell Heath witness line on 020 8597 4874 or anonymously to the Crimestoppers line on 0800 555 111.
Police arrested a 25-year-old man was arrested in connection with the investigation on November 17. He was later bailed to return to an east London police station on a date in February 2011 pending further enquiries.