Police appeal for witnesses to Whitechapel fatal car accident
Traffic police are appealing for witnesses after a driver involved a fatal collision with a pedestrian in Whitechapel made off from the scene.
Police were called to a car on its side at White Horse Lane near the junction with Shandy Street at about 9.20pm on Tuesday November 16.
The BMW 318i convertible had been in collision with 75-year-old Mary Devine from the Stepney Green area who was confirmed dead at the scene.
A post mortem examination at Poplar Mortuary gave the cause of death as multiple injuries.
Passers-by helped the driver from the vehicle but he made off on foot before police arrived.
You may also want to watch:
Members of the public helped the driver from the vehicle, but he made off on foot prior to police arrival.
Detective Sergeant Joe Lock, from the Road Death Investigation Unit based at Chadwell Heath which is investigating said: “Police are appealing for witnesses to the incident, especially those who may have helped the driver out of the car.
- 1 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 5 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 7 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 8 'That is what this club is about' as Mark Noble wants to find West Ham fan
- 9 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 10 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
“We need to trace this man as soon as a possible. He is described as a young Asian man, though we have no better description at present.
“He may have suffered some injuries himself.”
Witnesses are urged to call the Chadwell Heath witness line on 020 8597 4874 or anonymously to the Crimestoppers line on 0800 555 111.
Police arrested a 25-year-old man was arrested in connection with the investigation on November 17. He was later bailed to return to an east London police station on a date in February 2011 pending further enquiries.