Police appeal for witnesses to Whitechapel fatal car accident
Traffic police are appealing for witnesses after a driver involved a fatal collision with a pedestrian in Whitechapel made off from the scene.
Police were called to a car on its side at White Horse Lane near the junction with Shandy Street at about 9.20pm on Tuesday November 16.
The BMW 318i convertible had been in collision with 75-year-old Mary Devine from the Stepney Green area who was confirmed dead at the scene.
A post mortem examination at Poplar Mortuary gave the cause of death as multiple injuries.
Passers-by helped the driver from the vehicle but he made off on foot before police arrived.
You may also want to watch:
Members of the public helped the driver from the vehicle, but he made off on foot prior to police arrival.
Detective Sergeant Joe Lock, from the Road Death Investigation Unit based at Chadwell Heath which is investigating said: “Police are appealing for witnesses to the incident, especially those who may have helped the driver out of the car.
- 1 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 2 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 3 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 4 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 5 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 6 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 7 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 8 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
“We need to trace this man as soon as a possible. He is described as a young Asian man, though we have no better description at present.
“He may have suffered some injuries himself.”
Witnesses are urged to call the Chadwell Heath witness line on 020 8597 4874 or anonymously to the Crimestoppers line on 0800 555 111.
Police arrested a 25-year-old man was arrested in connection with the investigation on November 17. He was later bailed to return to an east London police station on a date in February 2011 pending further enquiries.