Police appeal over New Year’s Day rape in Bethnal Green
Police investigating a rape close to a popular East End pub on New Year’s Day are appealing for partygoers who may have seen something to come forward.
The victim, a 29-year-woman, is said to have been standing with the suspect outside the Star on Bethnal Green Road before she was attacked.
When she attempted to go back into the pub she was grabbed and backed into a nearby alley where she was then forced to the ground and raped.
Police were called at around at 2am to the area, close to Rushmead just off Bethnal Green Road.
The Met’s Sapphire Unit said the woman believed two men may have walked past and briefly spoken to the suspect and officers investigated are keen to trace the pair.
You may also want to watch:
The suspect is described as being of Mediterranean appearance with long brown hair and he wore a long-sleeved brown top.
Information to the Sapphire Unit at Shoreditch police station on 020 7275 3490 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 2 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 3 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 4 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 5 Brick Lane's famous bagel shop launches delivery service
- 6 Updated appeal for information about man last seen in Poplar in January
- 7 Fire crews fight blaze at pub in Hackney Wick
- 8 MPs pledge to fight on for 'forgotten victims' of IRA Canary Wharf bombing
- 9 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 10 Mother and son taken to hospital during "severe" fire in Bow