Police appeal over New Year’s Day rape in Bethnal Green
Police investigating a rape close to a popular East End pub on New Year’s Day are appealing for partygoers who may have seen something to come forward.
The victim, a 29-year-woman, is said to have been standing with the suspect outside the Star on Bethnal Green Road before she was attacked.
When she attempted to go back into the pub she was grabbed and backed into a nearby alley where she was then forced to the ground and raped.
Police were called at around at 2am to the area, close to Rushmead just off Bethnal Green Road.
The Met’s Sapphire Unit said the woman believed two men may have walked past and briefly spoken to the suspect and officers investigated are keen to trace the pair.
You may also want to watch:
The suspect is described as being of Mediterranean appearance with long brown hair and he wore a long-sleeved brown top.
Information to the Sapphire Unit at Shoreditch police station on 020 7275 3490 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week