Police appeal over New Year’s Day rape in Bethnal Green
Police investigating a rape close to a popular East End pub on New Year’s Day are appealing for partygoers who may have seen something to come forward.
The victim, a 29-year-woman, is said to have been standing with the suspect outside the Star on Bethnal Green Road before she was attacked.
When she attempted to go back into the pub she was grabbed and backed into a nearby alley where she was then forced to the ground and raped.
Police were called at around at 2am to the area, close to Rushmead just off Bethnal Green Road.
The Met’s Sapphire Unit said the woman believed two men may have walked past and briefly spoken to the suspect and officers investigated are keen to trace the pair.
You may also want to watch:
The suspect is described as being of Mediterranean appearance with long brown hair and he wore a long-sleeved brown top.
Information to the Sapphire Unit at Shoreditch police station on 020 7275 3490 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 2 Why some families can't leave Bow's 'dangerous structure' tower block
- 3 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 4 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 5 Trees planted to remember people who died of Covid in the East End
- 6 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 7 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
- 10 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020