Police are investigating election fraud allegations in Tower Hamlets
Police have announced that they are launching an investigation into electoral fraud in Tower Hamlets
It comes after six Tower Hamlets Labour councillors raised concerns about fraudulent registration of voters in the borough. The commission then passed the allegations on to Scotland Yard.
The councillors said they had evidence of offences linked to a recent by-election in Spitalfields and Banglatown and warned of further fraud as residents go to the poll for the London Mayoral election on Thursday and at the Weavers by-election to be held on the same day.
In a statement Scotland Yard said: “The MPS received an allegation from the Electoral Commission relating to potential fraudulent registration of voters in Tower Hamlets.
“We are currently investigating this allegation plus a further allegation of offences linked to a recent by-election in Tower Hamlets received on Saturday 28 April. If there is sufficient evidence, a prosecution will be mounted.”
You may also want to watch:
“We would encourage anyone with information regarding suspected electoral fraud or irregularities to report concerns to their local police or local authority.”
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 2 Refugee fighting £2,850 claim in lettings agency dispute
- 3 Cyclist in critical condition after 'serious collision' in Bow
- 4 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 5 Shoppers queue for bread on opening weekend of new Wapping street market
- 6 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 7 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 8 Jobi McAnuff reveals focus is on run-in, rather taking O's job permanently
- 9 Brick Lane's famous bagel shop launches delivery service
- 10 Fire crews fight blaze at pub in Hackney Wick