Police are investigating election fraud allegations in Tower Hamlets
Police have announced that they are launching an investigation into electoral fraud in Tower Hamlets
It comes after six Tower Hamlets Labour councillors raised concerns about fraudulent registration of voters in the borough. The commission then passed the allegations on to Scotland Yard.
The councillors said they had evidence of offences linked to a recent by-election in Spitalfields and Banglatown and warned of further fraud as residents go to the poll for the London Mayoral election on Thursday and at the Weavers by-election to be held on the same day.
In a statement Scotland Yard said: “The MPS received an allegation from the Electoral Commission relating to potential fraudulent registration of voters in Tower Hamlets.
“We are currently investigating this allegation plus a further allegation of offences linked to a recent by-election in Tower Hamlets received on Saturday 28 April. If there is sufficient evidence, a prosecution will be mounted.”
You may also want to watch:
“We would encourage anyone with information regarding suspected electoral fraud or irregularities to report concerns to their local police or local authority.”
- 1 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 8 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 9 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel