Police arrest 14 in Brick Lane drugs and violence crackdown
Arrests were made in Brick Lane on Friday night as police were joined by specialist Met officers for a late-night drugs and violence crackdown.
The team carried out more than 100 stop and searches, which they said were intelligence-based, and also had arches in various spots to swipe partygoers for knives and guns.
Acting borough commander Robert Revill said the operation was about having a strong presence.
He said robbery hotspots, areas where there is prolific street drinking and spots known for violence are being targeted.
His officers were joined by more from the Territorial Support Group – the team which took to the streets during the London riots and often accompanies forces on major raids.
You may also want to watch:
Of the 14 arrest, 11 were for possession of drugs, one for theft and one offence of drunk driving.
Another man was charged for possession of an offensive weapon.
- 1 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 2 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 3 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
- 4 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 5 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 6 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 7 Campaigners oppose plans to change voting system for Tower Hamlets mayor
- 8 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 9 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 10 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
Police were in the area from early evening until about 2am.