Police hunt distraction burglars
POLICE want to hear from witnesses to help them track down a gang of men after a distraction burglary in Poplar.
A married couple aged 88 and 87 opened the door at their home in Cordelia Street around 1pm on Friday (October 8) to a man who said he was from the water board and asked to check the taps in the kitchen.
Once inside he distracted both victims and two other men got into their home without the couple realising.
One of the men went into their bedroom and a third man waited in the hallway.
All three men who spoke with a London accent then left and nothing was taken.
You may also want to watch:
The first man is described as aged about 30, 5 foot 8 inches tall, and was medium build with short brown messy hair and was wearing a beige shirt and trousers.
The other two men were both about 20 and about 5 foot 6 inches tall, with cropped brown hair and were both wearing blue anoraks.
- 1 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 2 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 3 Leyton Orient boosted by potential returns of Smyth and Drinan for Salford trip
- 4 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 5 Budding east London cricketers invited to watch The Hundred
- 6 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 7 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 8 Things to do in east London this weekend (August 7-8)
- 9 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff
- 10 Youngsters have put themselves in Jackett's plans at Orient says Pratley
Detective Sergeant Cliff Jones from the Burglary Squad said: ”We are reminding local residents to be on their guard against cold-callers - to ask for identification, verify with the utility company and call police if not satisfied. Genuine callers will expect and understand such vigilance.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact DS Cliff Jones from the Burglary Squad on 020 8217 4113 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.