Police issue CCTV of man after sex attack on schoolgirl in Bethnal Green
- Credit: MPS
A schoolgirl was sexually assaulted in her home in London’s East End by a bogus caller claiming to be a plumber.
Detectives investigating the attack at a maisonette in Bethnal Green have today issued a picture of a man they want to question who was seen leaving the building soon after.
The trickster had rung the intercom at Gwilym Maries House in Canrobert Street, off Bethnal Green Road, at 6.30pm on May 13, saying he had a delivery and was let into the block, Scotland Yard has confirmed.
The youngster, who was at home with another schoolgirl, then opened her front-door to the man who claimed to be a plumber and had come to fix the washing machine.
The man said he needed the toilet and went upstairs, followed by the girl—then pushed her into a bedroom and attacked her.
You may also want to watch:
“The girl has been utterly traumatised by what happened to her,” Det Con Dean Simpson said. “Officers are working with her family to support her.
“We are keen to speak to a man seen leaving the block around that time who may know something essential to our investigation.”
- 1 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 2 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike
- 4 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 5 Fire crews fight blaze in railway arch in Bow
- 6 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 7 Woman from Limehouse charged after Kill the Bill protest
- 8 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
- 9 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 10 Appeal for dashcam footage following stabbing in Stepney churchyard
Detectives believe he went to a nearby minicab office and was driven to St Stephen’s Road, a mile-and-a-half away in Old Ford.
The man, whose picture has been taken from the minicab office CCTV, is thought to be Bengali, in his 30s, and is described as having short, dark hair, wearing a light-coloured short-sleeved shirt and dark trousers at the time and carrying a small satchel.
The Met’s Sexual Offences, Exploitation & Child Abuse Investigation Command is appealing for anyone recognising him to call Det Con Simpson on 020-8733 5999, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800-555111.