Police name victim of fatal Poplar stabbing as Ajmol Alom, 16
- Credit: Archant
Police have confirmed that the name of the 16-year-old schoolboy stabbed to death in an “unprovoked” attack in Poplar was Ajmol Alom.
Speaking at the scene of Monday night’s fatal stabbing in Spey Street, Det Ch Insp Andy Chalmers said Ajmol, who was of Bengali origin, was with friends when he was attacked by men in hoods.
“Initial indications are that Ajmol was with four friends,” said Mr Chalmers. “They were peaceful, they were conducting conversations at the location.
“They were then confronted by five to six other males who were wearing bandanas and were hooded.
“There appears to have been an unprovoked attack when the victim received his facial injuries and then Ajmol was stabbed.”
He said police were called at around 10pm to reports of two youths with stab wounds.
Mr Chalmers said Ajmol suffered a serious wound to his upper thigh while the other 16-year-old was stabbed through his cheek into his mouth.
- 1 Covid-19: How the situation in Tower Hamlets compares to this time last year
- 2 Collision causes traffic delays on A13 near Canning Town
- 3 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
- 4 Rooftop ice-rink opens at Tobacco Dock in Wapping
- 5 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
- 6 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 7 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 8 'Aggressive, violent behaviour' at Aldgate East tube station
- 9 Port and pie pop-up coming to Shoreditch
- 10 Trust admits 'still more to do' despite diagnostic imaging improvements
Both were taken to an east London hospital where Ajmol died. The second youth is still being treated for his injuries, which were not said to be life threatening.
Mr Chalmers said police were keeping an open mind as to whether the incident was gang related.
“Initial indications are that Ajmol is not linked to any gangs and there is no indication at this time that Ajmol or any of his associates with him last night did any act which may have provoked this incident,” he added.
A 19-year-old man was arrested this morning on suspicion of murder.
For more details, see the stories linked to on the right hand side of the page