Police release CCTV footage of homophobic attack outside Troxy nightclub in Stepney
- Credit: Archant
Detectives have released shocking CCTV footage which shows a gay man being punched in the face in a suspected homophobic attack outside a nightclub in Stepney.
Gordon Maxwell suffered a fractured cheek bone and may have permanent nerve damage following the attack which took place as he left the Troxy Club on Commercial Road.
Mr Maxwell, who lives in Greenwich, was wearing a white dress, ‘Doctor Martin’ boots and a brown jacket when a friend of his attacker made a homophobic comment to him before he was punched.
He has been left so traumatised by the attack, which took place on December 3 at around 3am, that he is unable to leave his home alone and has lost all his confidence.
Today he has made a personal appeal for information leading to the arrest and conviction of his attacker.
He said: “I fully believe I was targeted that evening because of my sexuality.
“I did not see the man that punched me; he ran at me from out of the blue, hit me and ran off.
- 1 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 2 Former Tower Hamlets councillor publishes autobiography on life as a hijabi woman
- 3 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 4 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 5 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 6 Woman treated at scene as 40 firefighters called to Bow tower block
- 7 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Census 2021 indicates baby boom in one east London borough
- 9 Man accused of Yasmin Begum killing denies murder and burglary
- 10 Council rapped by ombudsman after not following safeguarding procedures
“This incident has had a massive affect on all aspects of my life. I am afraid to leave the house and to be at home alone. It has totally shattered my confidence.
“I cannot feel the right side of my face including my right side of my nose. The surgeons say I may have permanent nerve damage. My mouth and right eye does not open fully and I have lost my sense of smell through one nostril.
“I would like to urge anyone who saw the attack or thinks they know the people involved to come forward as I fully believe they may strike again - they must be stopped and brought to justice.”
Mr Maxwell’s attacker is aged between 19 and 28 years old, of an Asian or black appearance and was wearing a blue padded-style jacket with the hood up and a silver/white emblem on the left.
His friend is white, of medium build. He was wearing a blue coat with the hood up and a white peak coming out of the hood.
Detective Constable Alice Tiritas, investigating officer, said: “This was a vicious attack that took place very quickly outside a nightclub and has had very severe effects on the victim, both physically and mentally.
“We take hate crime like this extremely seriously, and will do out utmost to bring perpetrators of this type of unacceptable attack, to justice. If there is anyone out there who saw these two men or heard them abused Gordon, please contact us as a matter of urgency.”
Anyone with any information should call the investigation team on 020 7275 4601 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.