Police seek witnesses to homophobic attack on Central line
Police are appealing for witnesses to a homophobic attack on a busy rush Central line train.
A commuter was subjected to verbal abuse and a prolonged physical attack by a male passenger whilst travelling on the Tube between Bethnal Green and Oxford Circus on his way to work.
British Transport Police wants to hear from witnesses to the incident which occurred between 8.30am and 8.50am during the morning rush hour on Thursday October 21.
They are particularly keen to trace from two women who helped the victim.
Investigating officer Police Constable Sharon Turner said: “There would have been a lot of people on board the train and I am appealing for anyone who saw the incident to get in touch.
You may also want to watch:
“We are particularly keen to speak to two women on the train who provided support to the victim and may be able to help us identify the attacker.”
Officers believe the women who supported the victim boarded the train at Mile End and remained on board after the victim got off at Oxford Circus.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 6 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 7 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 8 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 9 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 10 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
One of the women is described as Asian, in her forties, about 5 foot 2 inches tall and wearing traditional Indian dress.
The other woman is described as white, about 5 foot 2 inches tall, in her mid-twenties with long dark hair. She was wearing a black coat.
The suspect is described as black, about 6 foot tall with an athletic build, short black hair and a small moustache. He was wearing an olive green jacket and blue jeans.
Anyone with information which should contact British Transport Police on Freefone 0800 40 50 40 quoting reference B11 of 27/10/2010or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.