Police seek witnesses to homophobic attack on Central line
Police are appealing for witnesses to a homophobic attack on a busy rush Central line train.
A commuter was subjected to verbal abuse and a prolonged physical attack by a male passenger whilst travelling on the Tube between Bethnal Green and Oxford Circus on his way to work.
British Transport Police wants to hear from witnesses to the incident which occurred between 8.30am and 8.50am during the morning rush hour on Thursday October 21.
They are particularly keen to trace from two women who helped the victim.
Investigating officer Police Constable Sharon Turner said: “There would have been a lot of people on board the train and I am appealing for anyone who saw the incident to get in touch.
You may also want to watch:
“We are particularly keen to speak to two women on the train who provided support to the victim and may be able to help us identify the attacker.”
Officers believe the women who supported the victim boarded the train at Mile End and remained on board after the victim got off at Oxford Circus.
- 1 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 2 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff explains the reasoning for dropping Jamie Turley to the bench
- 3 Fire crews fight blaze at pub in Hackney Wick
- 4 Mother and son taken to hospital during "severe" fire in Bow
- 5 Volunteers take food for Ramadan to neighbours on Isle of Dogs
- 6 Former Bagel Factory turned into creative studios to rent out
- 7 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 8 Beer gardens reopening with face masks, sanitisers and cobblestones
- 9 London elections 2021: City and East candidates make case for your vote
- 10 It was a big opportunity missed for Leyton Orient says boss Jobi McAnuff
One of the women is described as Asian, in her forties, about 5 foot 2 inches tall and wearing traditional Indian dress.
The other woman is described as white, about 5 foot 2 inches tall, in her mid-twenties with long dark hair. She was wearing a black coat.
The suspect is described as black, about 6 foot tall with an athletic build, short black hair and a small moustache. He was wearing an olive green jacket and blue jeans.
Anyone with information which should contact British Transport Police on Freefone 0800 40 50 40 quoting reference B11 of 27/10/2010or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.