Arrest of man in Poplar referred to police professional standards unit after footage goes viral
- Credit: Archant
The arrest of a man in Poplar yesterday has been referred to a police professional standards unit after a clip of the arrest went viral on social media.
The Met Police say that at about 5.30pm, officers attempted to speak with a man regarding his car, which was obstructing the highway and other motorists.
The man declined to move his car and refused to provide officers with his driving licence.
A 38-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of obstruction of the highway, assaulting police and resisting arrest.
He was taken to hospital for treatment as a precaution, and is now in custody at an east London police station.
You may also want to watch:
Footage of the arrest has been circulated on social media.
The Met issued a statement this morning, which stated: "The Metropolitan Police Service is aware of footage circulating on social media of officers arresting a man on Abbott Road in Tower Hamlets on the afternoon of Tuesday, July 9.
- 1 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 2 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff explains the reasoning for dropping Jamie Turley to the bench
- 3 Fire crews fight blaze at pub in Hackney Wick
- 4 Mother and son taken to hospital during "severe" fire in Bow
- 5 Former Bagel Factory turned into creative studios to rent out
- 6 Volunteers take food for Ramadan to neighbours on Isle of Dogs
- 7 London elections 2021: City and East candidates make case for your vote
- 8 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 9 It was a big opportunity missed for Leyton Orient says boss Jobi McAnuff
- 10 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
"The officers concerned recorded the incident themselves via their Body Worn Video cameras as is normal practice.
"Police in Tower Hamlets are talking to and listening to the local community.
"The matter has been referred to the Central East Command professional standards unit."
Two officers sustained minor injuries.