Poplar dad found guilty of murdering 13-week-old son
- Credit: PA
A man who attempted to blame a young child for the death of a 13-week-old baby has been found guilty of the tot’s murder.
Mohammed Miah, 37, was found guilty of killing little Rifat, who was born with a deformity, by a majority of 11 to 1 following a trial at the Old Bailey.
Jurors cleared the baby’s mother, Rebeka Nazmin, 32, of murder but found her guilty by majority of causing or allowing the death of her baby and causing him suffering.
The court was told that Rifat was found apparently lifeless on the floor of the family home in St Leonard’s Road, Poplar, on the morning of July 4 last year.
Nazmin called 999 and the youngster was taken to Great Ormond Street Hospital, where he died from brain injuries the following day.
You may also want to watch:
The infant, who wore a baby grow with the words “I love my mummy”, had been either severely shaken or hit against a hard surface.
An examination of his body revealed 38 rib fractures, eight fractures to his legs and a broken spine from being squeezed and pulled.
- 1 Police bid to trace man in connection with Tube station sex assault
- 2 Jailed: Bethnal Green man who tried to buy hand grenade to use on police
- 3 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 4 Whitechapel lab to research East End's high throat cancer rates
- 5 'Tokyo Olympics? Tough call after Covid,' says Montell Douglas
- 6 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 7 'We need more Covid vaccines,' Tower Hamlets mayor warns
- 8 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 9 Rabina Khan: What we must do five years on from Brexit referendum
- 10 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
The baby was also hit with the cord of a mobile phone charger and burned on a radiator, the trial heard.
The court was hold how both parents tried to blame Rifat’s death on another child.
In an interview with police, the child said Nazmin had instructed him to shake Rifat and flick water on his face in an apparent attempt to throw suspicion away from her husband.
Under cross-examination by video link, the primary-school age child, who cannot be identified, told jurors: “I see Rifat in the corner, red and hot, then doing something, then he just lies there doing nothing. He didn’t even wake up.
“I felt his head if he had temperature. I told (Nazmin) about it and she said I should shake him or put water on him. If he wakes, he’s fine. If not, I will have to call the ambulance.”
Following Rifat’s death, Nazmin also said her husband had a problem with their baby’s deformed hand and ear, saying he might have abused him because of it.
She was heard to say: “He killed my baby. Tell his dad he has died, that’s what he wants.”
Giving evidence, Miah denied hurting his baby son, saying that children “mean the world to me”. He was cleared of cruelty to two other children.
Speaking after the verdict was delivered, Det Insp Ken Hughes said: “We may never know why a mother and father inflicted such terrible injuries on their own small baby.
“Even if we had that knowledge, I am not sure we could ever understand.
“This baby should have been protected and loved; instead he lived with hurt, indifference and brutality. I am glad that these two have been called to account for their actions and now face the consequences of their cruelty.
An NSPCC spokesman said: “In his tragically short life, Rifat suffered horrendous abuse at the hands of his own father, the very person who should have been protecting and nurturing him.
“His catalogue of injuries is deeply shocking and everyone who has followed this trial will have been deeply affected by the evidence of brutality that blighted Rifat’s 13 weeks of life.”
Miah and Nazmin are due to be sentenced at the Old Bailey tomorrow.