Poplar man arrested on suspicion of murder and burglary after 51-year-old man dies in hospital
- Credit: Archant
A man from Poplar has been arrested on suspicion of murder and burglar after a man attacked for challenging a suspected car thief died in hospital.
Marc Allen, from Erith, died a month after he was beaten into a coma.
Police were called just before 3am on December 29 to reports of an injured man in Peareswood Road, Erith.
The 51-year-old was taken to Kings College Hospital with head injuries.
He remained in a coma for the next month, and on Wednesday, January 29 died from his injuries.
You may also want to watch:
His next of kin have been informed. A post-mortem examination will be held in due course.
Detectives believe that on the night of the incident, Mr Allen came out of his home to remonstrate with a man who was attempting to steal his car from his driveway.
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 2 Refugee fighting £2,850 claim in lettings agency dispute
- 3 Cyclist in critical condition after 'serious collision' in Bow
- 4 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 5 Shoppers queue for bread on opening weekend of new Wapping street market
- 6 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 7 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 8 Jobi McAnuff reveals focus is on run-in, rather taking O's job permanently
- 9 Brick Lane's famous bagel shop launches delivery service
- 10 'Hold still while I ink your portrait for Captain Tom challenge'
The suspect was inside the vehicle and it is understood that he deliberately drove towards Mr Allen, hitting him and forcing him over the top of the car.
The suspect then left the scene in the car, leaving Mr Allen lying in the driveway.
On December 31, the grey Mercedes GLA was recovered from the Poplar area of east London.
Officers believe that immediately after the incident, it was left in the vicinity of Bronze Age Way, Erith for several hours.
On Friday, February 7, a 27-year-old man was arrested in Poplar on suspicion of murder and burglary. He was taken into custody, where he remains.
Det Insp Jason Fitzpatrick said: "Our enquiries are ongoing to try and establish how the suspect gained access to the keys for the vehicle and at this time I would appeal to anyone who may have witnessed the incident, or subsequently saw the car being driven in the area to come forward."
Anyone with information is asked to contact Specialist Crime South on 020 8721 4622. To remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111/ visiting crimestoppers-uk.org