Poplar man arrested on suspicion of murder and burglary after 51-year-old man dies in hospital
- Credit: Archant
A man from Poplar has been arrested on suspicion of murder and burglar after a man attacked for challenging a suspected car thief died in hospital.
Marc Allen, from Erith, died a month after he was beaten into a coma.
Police were called just before 3am on December 29 to reports of an injured man in Peareswood Road, Erith.
The 51-year-old was taken to Kings College Hospital with head injuries.
He remained in a coma for the next month, and on Wednesday, January 29 died from his injuries.
You may also want to watch:
His next of kin have been informed. A post-mortem examination will be held in due course.
Detectives believe that on the night of the incident, Mr Allen came out of his home to remonstrate with a man who was attempting to steal his car from his driveway.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 5 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 8 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 10 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
The suspect was inside the vehicle and it is understood that he deliberately drove towards Mr Allen, hitting him and forcing him over the top of the car.
The suspect then left the scene in the car, leaving Mr Allen lying in the driveway.
On December 31, the grey Mercedes GLA was recovered from the Poplar area of east London.
Officers believe that immediately after the incident, it was left in the vicinity of Bronze Age Way, Erith for several hours.
On Friday, February 7, a 27-year-old man was arrested in Poplar on suspicion of murder and burglary. He was taken into custody, where he remains.
Det Insp Jason Fitzpatrick said: "Our enquiries are ongoing to try and establish how the suspect gained access to the keys for the vehicle and at this time I would appeal to anyone who may have witnessed the incident, or subsequently saw the car being driven in the area to come forward."
Anyone with information is asked to contact Specialist Crime South on 020 8721 4622. To remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111/ visiting crimestoppers-uk.org