Pregnant woman stabbed by masked robber in Bethnal Green
A pregnant woman was stabbed and robbed by a masked thief after he bundled her into the back of a minicab in Bethnal Green.
The mum-to-be tried to protect herself by telling the man she was 20 weeks pregnant, but he continued the vicious attack and stabbed her in the leg before running off with her handbag on Tuesday (December 11).
He had been trying to rob the minicab driver in Claredale Street at about 5.30pm, but turned his attention to the woman as she approached the car and he pushed her into the back.
After the attack, the suspect ran away on foot while the woman, who is in her 30s, was rushed to hospital for treatment. She was discharged later that night, and her unborn child was unharmed.
Officers from the Bethnal Green Robbery Squad are investigating and appealed for witnesses and information.
Although the suspect wasn’t seen with a bike, he was wearing a cycle face mask that covered his mouth and nose.
He was described as a light-skinned black male in his late teens. He was about 5ft 11in and had a slim build.
- 1 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 2 Archie Battersbee case to be reconsidered in High Court
- 3 £28k worth of illegal tobacco seized from containers and shops during raids
- 4 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 5 Bethnal Green officers sacked over 'abhorrent and discriminatory' messages
- 6 1888 Match Girls’ Strike marked with blue plaque in east London
- 7 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 8 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 9 Former Tower Hamlets councillor publishes autobiography on life as a hijabi woman
- 10 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
Anyone with information should call police on 020 8217 3743, or call the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.