Prime minister announces investigation into ‘suspicious packages’ sent to Muslim MPs including Rushanara Ali
- Credit: Mike Brooke
Prime minister Theresa May has announced an investigation is ongoing into “suspicious packages” targeting Muslim MPs.
Bethnal Green and Bow MP Rushanara Ali was sent an Islamophobic letter and a sticky liquid on Monday.
Three other MPs - Ealing’s Rupa Huq, Bedford’s Mohammad Yasinand and Manchester’s Afzal Khan - also received similar packages.
Addressing the House of Commons this afternoon, Mrs May said: “Members will also have seen reports of a number of suspicious packages targeting Muslim members.
“I’m sure the whole house will join me in condemning this unacceptable and abhorrent behaviour, which has no place in our society.
You may also want to watch:
“I can tell the house that an investigation is under way and steps are being taken to bring the perpetrators to justice.”
- 1 Beer gardens reopening with face masks, sanitisers and cobblestones
- 2 Mother and son taken to hospital during "severe" fire in Bow
- 3 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 4 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 5 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 6 Hundreds of customers descend on reopened retailers
- 7 Volunteers take food for Ramadan to neighbours on Isle of Dogs
- 8 Here's why people stay longer in the East End despite the crime
- 9 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 10 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures