Rapist gets 14 years for attack on teenager in Barbican car-park
- Credit: MPS
A rapist has been jailed for 14 years after detectives tracked him down when he left his number on his teenage victim’s mobile phone.
Amos Mbonu, a 48-year-old from Arrow Road in Bromley-by-Bow, was given two seven-year sentences for rape when he appeared at Blackfriars Crown Court yesterday.
Another seven year sentence for supplying Class A drugs was also handed out, to run at the same time.
He raped the teenager in a car-park near the Barbican in the City.
The girl had left a bar in Euston at 11.30pm after a night out with friends last October when Mbonu, who was in a car, started talking to her. They went to a nightclub, then travelled back to the Barbican area where he raped her in a car-park.
You may also want to watch:
“Mbonu is a dangerous man who preyed on a lone, vulnerable woman,” Det Con Zoe Di Carlo said. “He took advantage of her in the most horrific way, but is now in jail and the public are safer because of that.”
Police found Mbonu’s number on the girl’s mobile phone and arrested him the next day. He denied raping the girl in the car, but was found guilty at his trial in July.
- 1 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 2 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 3 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 4 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 5 Brick Lane's famous bagel shop launches delivery service
- 6 Updated appeal for information about man last seen in Poplar in January
- 7 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 8 MPs pledge to fight on for 'forgotten victims' of IRA Canary Wharf bombing
- 9 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff wants his side to impose themselves on Barrow
- 10 Fire crews fight blaze at pub in Hackney Wick
Mbonu was found not guilty of another rape, assault and theft in a separate incident 14 years ago.