Rapist gets 14 years for attack on teenager in Barbican car-park
- Credit: MPS
A rapist has been jailed for 14 years after detectives tracked him down when he left his number on his teenage victim’s mobile phone.
Amos Mbonu, a 48-year-old from Arrow Road in Bromley-by-Bow, was given two seven-year sentences for rape when he appeared at Blackfriars Crown Court yesterday.
Another seven year sentence for supplying Class A drugs was also handed out, to run at the same time.
He raped the teenager in a car-park near the Barbican in the City.
The girl had left a bar in Euston at 11.30pm after a night out with friends last October when Mbonu, who was in a car, started talking to her. They went to a nightclub, then travelled back to the Barbican area where he raped her in a car-park.
You may also want to watch:
“Mbonu is a dangerous man who preyed on a lone, vulnerable woman,” Det Con Zoe Di Carlo said. “He took advantage of her in the most horrific way, but is now in jail and the public are safer because of that.”
Police found Mbonu’s number on the girl’s mobile phone and arrested him the next day. He denied raping the girl in the car, but was found guilty at his trial in July.
- 1 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 2 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 3 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 4 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 5 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 6 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 7 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London
- 8 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 9 'Set deadline to remove cladding,' Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 10 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs
Mbonu was found not guilty of another rape, assault and theft in a separate incident 14 years ago.