Rapist gets 14 years for attack on teenager in Barbican car-park
- Credit: MPS
A rapist has been jailed for 14 years after detectives tracked him down when he left his number on his teenage victim’s mobile phone.
Amos Mbonu, a 48-year-old from Arrow Road in Bromley-by-Bow, was given two seven-year sentences for rape when he appeared at Blackfriars Crown Court yesterday.
Another seven year sentence for supplying Class A drugs was also handed out, to run at the same time.
He raped the teenager in a car-park near the Barbican in the City.
The girl had left a bar in Euston at 11.30pm after a night out with friends last October when Mbonu, who was in a car, started talking to her. They went to a nightclub, then travelled back to the Barbican area where he raped her in a car-park.
“Mbonu is a dangerous man who preyed on a lone, vulnerable woman,” Det Con Zoe Di Carlo said. “He took advantage of her in the most horrific way, but is now in jail and the public are safer because of that.”
Police found Mbonu’s number on the girl’s mobile phone and arrested him the next day. He denied raping the girl in the car, but was found guilty at his trial in July.
- 1 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 2 Former Tower Hamlets councillor publishes autobiography on life as a hijabi woman
- 3 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 4 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 5 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 6 Woman treated at scene as 40 firefighters called to Bow tower block
- 7 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Census 2021 indicates baby boom in one east London borough
- 9 Man accused of Yasmin Begum killing denies murder and burglary
- 10 Council rapped by ombudsman after not following safeguarding procedures
Mbonu was found not guilty of another rape, assault and theft in a separate incident 14 years ago.