Rapper Nasty’s ‘E3 post code’ killer found guilty after 5-year police hunt
- Credit: MPS
The family of a teenager who died after a street stabbing in London’s East End five-and-a-half years ago finally got justice at the Old Bailey today.
Isschan Nicholls, an aspiring rap artist known as Nasty, was stabbed in what witnesses at the time said might have been a “post code” knifing.
The 18-year-old was surrounded by a gang of youths at Lefevre Walk, off Parnell Road in Bow, on January 13, 2010—two miles from his home in Poplar.
Isschan and his pal were stabbed several times.
They were later rushed to the Royal London Hospital at Whitechapel, where Isschan remained in a critical condition for two days.
You may also want to watch:
He died on January 15 from his injuries, just three months after his 18th birthday. He had been stabbed in the stomach and thigh.
His 17-year-old pal survived the attack and was later discharged from hospital.
- 1 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
- 2 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 3 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 4 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 5 Campaigners oppose plans to change voting system for Tower Hamlets mayor
- 6 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 7 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 8 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Kenny Jackett pleased with pre-season preparations
- 10 Win a pair of Carabao Cup tickets to Leyton Orient vs Queens Park Rangers
Simeon Hunter, 25, from Bow—who was 19 at the time—was found guilty today of manslaughter, following a five-week trial.
Police called to the scene by neighbours found Isschan and his friend with knife wounds.
What then followed was a meticulous investigation which spanned more than five years, the trial heard.
It included a £20,000 reward for information as well as repeated appeals by Isschan’s family for witnesses to come forward.
Detectives arrested 17 people—two women and 15 men—between 2010 and 2011 alone, during the investigation.
Forensic analysis found traces of Isschan’s blood on Hunter’s trousers, linking him to the scene and fatal stabbing.
But it wasn’t until this year, five years on, that the Met Police were finally able to secure the evidence to convict Hunter—and get justice for Isschan’s bereaved family.
“This was a challenging and complicated investigation,” Det Insp John Venn, from the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command, said after today’s verdict.
“Many people were involved in the fight. I hope today’s verdict serves as a reminder that police will relentlessly pursue those involved in these crimes and bring them before the courts to face justice.”
Hunter will be sentenced on Thursday.
A second man, Mully Tambwe, 23, from Romford, who was charged with murder alongside Hunter, was acquitted today of both murder and manslaughter.
Proceedings against a third man, Joel Ofori, 23, from Bow, who was also charged with murder, were discontinued at an earlier date.
Neighbours in Lefevre Walk told the East London Advertiser at the time that youths had been racing around in cars on the night of the attack.
Isschan and his friends had been surrounded and attacked by hooded youths because he was “in the wrong postcode”—E3 instead of where he lived in E14.