“Referee attacked” in match bust-up at Mile End Stadium
An amateur football match in Mile End had to be cancelled on Saturday after a player allegedly tried to attack the game’s referee.
Sporting Bengal United’s home game against Basildon United at the Mile End Stadium, Rhodeswell Road, was abandoned early in the second half after the incident caused by the Basildon player.
Sporting Bengal manager Mamun Chowdhury said: “A player was complaining to the referee and the ref told him to be quiet. He went mad. He pushed the referee and tried to punch him.
“It was right in front of the technical area. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.
You may also want to watch:
“He then tried to run after the referee. I knew at that point the match wasn’t going to continue.
“Some of my players tried to restrain him, but I didn’t want him coming after us too, so I told them to leave it.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 3 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 4 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 5 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 10 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
“The referee and linesmen went back into the dressing room, and our staff escorted him to his car.
“It was absolutely ridiculous. The match will have to be replayed.”
A spokesman for the Essex Football Association said: “We have received misconduct reports from the match officials pertaining to the Sporting Bengal United vs Basildon United fixture in the Essex Senior League on Saturday, March 17.
“The Basildon cases will now progress through our usual disciplinary process.”
It was not possible to reach Basildon United for a comment before going to press.