“Referee attacked” in match bust-up at Mile End Stadium
An amateur football match in Mile End had to be cancelled on Saturday after a player allegedly tried to attack the game’s referee.
Sporting Bengal United’s home game against Basildon United at the Mile End Stadium, Rhodeswell Road, was abandoned early in the second half after the incident caused by the Basildon player.
Sporting Bengal manager Mamun Chowdhury said: “A player was complaining to the referee and the ref told him to be quiet. He went mad. He pushed the referee and tried to punch him.
“It was right in front of the technical area. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.
You may also want to watch:
“He then tried to run after the referee. I knew at that point the match wasn’t going to continue.
“Some of my players tried to restrain him, but I didn’t want him coming after us too, so I told them to leave it.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 4 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 5 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 6 Barts Health NHS Trust reports one of lowest rates of vaccinated staff
- 7 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 8 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 9 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 10 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
“The referee and linesmen went back into the dressing room, and our staff escorted him to his car.
“It was absolutely ridiculous. The match will have to be replayed.”
A spokesman for the Essex Football Association said: “We have received misconduct reports from the match officials pertaining to the Sporting Bengal United vs Basildon United fixture in the Essex Senior League on Saturday, March 17.
“The Basildon cases will now progress through our usual disciplinary process.”
It was not possible to reach Basildon United for a comment before going to press.