“Referee attacked” in match bust-up at Mile End Stadium
An amateur football match in Mile End had to be cancelled on Saturday after a player allegedly tried to attack the game’s referee.
Sporting Bengal United’s home game against Basildon United at the Mile End Stadium, Rhodeswell Road, was abandoned early in the second half after the incident caused by the Basildon player.
Sporting Bengal manager Mamun Chowdhury said: “A player was complaining to the referee and the ref told him to be quiet. He went mad. He pushed the referee and tried to punch him.
“It was right in front of the technical area. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.
You may also want to watch:
“He then tried to run after the referee. I knew at that point the match wasn’t going to continue.
“Some of my players tried to restrain him, but I didn’t want him coming after us too, so I told them to leave it.
- 1 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 2 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 3 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 4 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 5 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 6 Fast broadband deal is signed for thousands of East End homes
- 7 Voting in the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Planning Referendum
- 8 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 9 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 10 Bronze Age hoard to go on show after 3,000 years and an extra year's delay
“The referee and linesmen went back into the dressing room, and our staff escorted him to his car.
“It was absolutely ridiculous. The match will have to be replayed.”
A spokesman for the Essex Football Association said: “We have received misconduct reports from the match officials pertaining to the Sporting Bengal United vs Basildon United fixture in the Essex Senior League on Saturday, March 17.
“The Basildon cases will now progress through our usual disciplinary process.”
It was not possible to reach Basildon United for a comment before going to press.