Tower Hamlets is one of the worst boroughs in London for drink driving accidents
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Tower Hamlets has one of the highest numbers of reported drink driving accidents in London, figures reveal.
A total of 20 incidents were logged in the borough in 2016, according to the latest government data compiled by click4reg.co.uk.
Tower Hamlets matched Havering in incidents where a police officer attended the scene, beaten only by Hounslow (26 incidents), Haringey (22) and Lambeth (21).
A further two accidents were caused by drivers “impaired by drugs” at the wheel.
Nearly 400 drink driving accidents were recorded in the capital’s boroughs overall, a 13 per cent rise from the previous year.
Incidents in Tower Hamlets rose by a third, or five accidents, over the period.
You may also want to watch:
London local authorities with the fewest reported drink driving accidents in 2016 were: Islington (three), Kensington and Chelsea (four), and City of London (four).
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 3 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 4 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 5 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 6 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 7 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 10 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel