Secretary who defrauded top law firm jailed
A FORMER secretary has been sentenced to 15 months in jail after defrauding the top law firm she worked for out of �28,000.
Over a period of two years, Jodie Groom, 33, splurged on designer clothes and exotic holidays with company credit cards belonging to her bosses at Canary Wharf based Clifford Chance.
When she was arrested in June 2009, she tried to blame the crimes on fellow secretary, Kay Flanagan – who ended up committing suicide just a year later.
Groom was sentenced on Thursday January 27 at Snaresbrook Crown Court after pleading guilty to 16 counts of fraud.
The fraudster, of Taylofers, Harlow, had worked for the company for ten years.
You may also want to watch:
She was a secretary to senior partners and between January 2007 and July 2009, she used their cards to fund her lucrative lifestyle.
DC Karen McGarry, a specialist fraud investigator at Tower Hamlets Police said: “Miss Groom abused the trust placed in her by the partners she worked for.
- 1 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 5 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 7 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 8 'That is what this club is about' as Mark Noble wants to find West Ham fan
- 9 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 10 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
“This was a deliberate and lengthy fraud over almost two years, the property and cash she stole has never been found and she has never returned any of it.”