Sexual assault attacker disturbed by passersby in Whitechapel
A young woman was grabbed and sexually assaulted in a Whitechapel parking bay before two passersby scared off her attacker.
Police are appealing to the witnesses who saw the horrific scene unfold in Batty Street in the early hours of Sunday July 17 to come forward.
The woman, in her twenties, was walking down Commercial Road at 6.30am when she was grabbed and taken to the side street.
A driver of a green people carrier may also have seen the attack.
DS Michael Reay said: “The two passing members of the public and the driver are crucial to our investigation.
“Although it was very quiet in the street at that time in the morning residents may have heard raised voices and not realised what was happening.”
After being disturbed, the attacker – an Asian male with stubble and a moustache, about 5ft 5ins and wearing a black baseball cap and black trainers - ran off towards Fairclough Road.
- 1 Cyclist in hospital after lorry collision in Whitechapel
- 2 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 3 Flats under construction in Hackney Wick to be knocked down and rebuilt
- 4 Cycle paths joined up in Aldgate creates 'safe route' through east London
- 5 Whitechapel nun pens book of 12 stories to inspire selflessness in society
- 6 Mile End: Car crashes into bus stop during police pursuit
- 7 'Lucky' escape: Family flees Bethnal Green fire thanks to fire alarms
- 8 Warnings issued after four fox clubs found stuck in old car wheels
- 9 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 10 'Staffing crisis' means children's hospice cannot offer end of life care
Information to 0207 275 3491 or via Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.