Sexual assault attacker disturbed by passersby in Whitechapel
A young woman was grabbed and sexually assaulted in a Whitechapel parking bay before two passersby scared off her attacker.
Police are appealing to the witnesses who saw the horrific scene unfold in Batty Street in the early hours of Sunday July 17 to come forward.
The woman, in her twenties, was walking down Commercial Road at 6.30am when she was grabbed and taken to the side street.
A driver of a green people carrier may also have seen the attack.
DS Michael Reay said: “The two passing members of the public and the driver are crucial to our investigation.
You may also want to watch:
“Although it was very quiet in the street at that time in the morning residents may have heard raised voices and not realised what was happening.”
After being disturbed, the attacker – an Asian male with stubble and a moustache, about 5ft 5ins and wearing a black baseball cap and black trainers - ran off towards Fairclough Road.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 5 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 6 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 7 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 8 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 9 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 10 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
Information to 0207 275 3491 or via Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.