Jailed: Six more members of Whitechapel drugs gang
Six men from a Whitechapel drugs gang have been jailed for more than 14 years.
Junel Ahmed, 23, of Berner Terrace, Whitechapel, Atefur Rahman, 18, of Cable Street, Shadwell, Ruhel Hussain, 18, of Cable Street, Shadwell, Alomgir Hussain, 25, of no fixed abode, Mahmudur Hassan, 23, of Clearbook Way, Stepney, and Mohammed Sherwaan Chowdhury, 18, of Sidney Street, Whitechapel, were sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court yesterday and today (Thursday and Friday). They all pleaded guilty to drug supply offences.
The men were convicted after raids in June and July as part of a four-month covert operation which recovered £60,000 in cash and more than half a kilo of Class A drugs.
Last month, 28 men were given more than 100 years in jail as part of the same investigation.
During the investigation, detectives posed as drug users, meeting gang members in Whitechapel streets to pick up wraps of crack cocaine and heroin.
Det Ch In Mike Hamer said: “Removing these men from our streets is an incredible result for the local community and London as a whole. They were all linked to the supply of crack cocaine and heroin and putting them in jail will severely disrupt the supply of drugs in the area.
“Operation Continuum responds to significant community concerns by targeting drug dealers, as well as providing addiction support for drug users. By tackling drug dealing in the area we can continue to have a positive and long-term impact on related crimes such as violent crime and anti-social behaviour.
- 1 Single van racks up £36k of fines in Tower Hamlets
- 2 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 3 Delayed Canary Wharf 'portacabin' hotel hopes to open in 2022
- 4 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 5 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
- 6 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 7 Free vegan food at Spitalfields Market
- 8 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 9 Trio accused of Bow Lock murder were 'associates' of victim 'Aqil' Mahdi
- 10 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
“We will continue to dismantle crime, prosecute those people who defy the law and safeguard our community.”
Four more men will be sentenced later this year.