Jailed: Six more members of Whitechapel drugs gang
Six men from a Whitechapel drugs gang have been jailed for more than 14 years.
Junel Ahmed, 23, of Berner Terrace, Whitechapel, Atefur Rahman, 18, of Cable Street, Shadwell, Ruhel Hussain, 18, of Cable Street, Shadwell, Alomgir Hussain, 25, of no fixed abode, Mahmudur Hassan, 23, of Clearbook Way, Stepney, and Mohammed Sherwaan Chowdhury, 18, of Sidney Street, Whitechapel, were sentenced at Snaresbrook Crown Court yesterday and today (Thursday and Friday). They all pleaded guilty to drug supply offences.
The men were convicted after raids in June and July as part of a four-month covert operation which recovered £60,000 in cash and more than half a kilo of Class A drugs.
Last month, 28 men were given more than 100 years in jail as part of the same investigation.
During the investigation, detectives posed as drug users, meeting gang members in Whitechapel streets to pick up wraps of crack cocaine and heroin.
You may also want to watch:
Det Ch In Mike Hamer said: “Removing these men from our streets is an incredible result for the local community and London as a whole. They were all linked to the supply of crack cocaine and heroin and putting them in jail will severely disrupt the supply of drugs in the area.
“Operation Continuum responds to significant community concerns by targeting drug dealers, as well as providing addiction support for drug users. By tackling drug dealing in the area we can continue to have a positive and long-term impact on related crimes such as violent crime and anti-social behaviour.
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 2 Refugee fighting £2,850 claim in lettings agency dispute
- 3 Cyclist in critical condition after 'serious collision' in Bow
- 4 Shoppers queue for bread on opening weekend of new Wapping street market
- 5 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 6 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 7 Leyton Orient still not at the level top sides are says boss Jobi McAnuff
- 8 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 9 Shops reopening after lockdown now fear council rent hikes
- 10 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
“We will continue to dismantle crime, prosecute those people who defy the law and safeguard our community.”
Four more men will be sentenced later this year.