Murder hunt after Stepney shooting in Nelson Street as police appeal for witnesses
- Credit: MPS
A man wounded in the head during a late-night shooting in Stepney has died in hospital.
Now detectives have begun murder hunt for the gunman following Tuesday night's shooting in Nelson Street, behind Commercial Road.
The 40-year-old was found in a pool of blood on the pavement near a synagogue with a head injury that police believe was from a bullet.
He died last night (November 21) at the Royal London Hospital 48 hours after being shot. His next of kin are being supported by specialist officers.
A forensic crime scene was thrown up in Nelson Street as investigations got under way by the Met's Central East Command unit based at Bethnal Green.
You may also want to watch:
Scotland Yard has now put out an urgent appeal for witnesses as the killer may still be at large. No arrests have been made so far.
"We're still in the early stages of our investigation," Det Insp Perry Benton said.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 2 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 3 New Providence Wharf fire: Two in hospital and 42 treated at scene
- 4 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 5 New Providence Wharf: The four-year fight to remove 'Grenfell cladding'
- 6 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 7 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 8 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 9 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 10 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
"But it is imperative that anyone with information about what happened in Nelson Street contacts us as soon as possible.
"I am looking to speak to anyone who was in the area on Tuesday night and saw anything suspicious."
The appeal by detectives urges witnesses or anyone with information to call 101, or to go on Twitter @MetCC, quoting CAD 10007/19 NOV, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.