Stepney shooting appeal: Did you witness attempted murder in Nelson Street Tuesday night?
- Credit: MPS
Detectives are hunting a gunman following an attempted murder during a shooting in the street in Stepney.
Police answering a late-night 999 call arrived at Nelson Street, off the main Commercial Road, where a 40-year-old man was found with a serious head injury on the pavement at 10.30pm on Tuesday.
An ambulance crew gave first aid at the scene and took him to the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel.
His injury is "strongly suspected to be from a bullet wound", Scotland Yard has confirmed.
The man's condition is said to be critical. His next of kin have been contacted.
You may also want to watch:
A forensic scene of crime was set up in Nelson Street as the hunt for the gunman got under way led by the Met's Central East Command unit based at Bethnal Green.
An appeal is being made by detectives for witnesses or anyone with information to call 101, or to go on Twitter @MetCC, quoting CAD 10007/19 NOV, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111. There have been no arrests so far.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and referendums
- 2 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 3 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 4 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 5 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 6 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 7 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 8 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 9 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 10 New Providence Wharf fire: Two in hospital and 42 treated at scene