Stepney shooting appeal: Did you witness attempted murder in Nelson Street Tuesday night?
- Credit: MPS
Detectives are hunting a gunman following an attempted murder during a shooting in the street in Stepney.
Police answering a late-night 999 call arrived at Nelson Street, off the main Commercial Road, where a 40-year-old man was found with a serious head injury on the pavement at 10.30pm on Tuesday.
An ambulance crew gave first aid at the scene and took him to the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel.
His injury is "strongly suspected to be from a bullet wound", Scotland Yard has confirmed.
The man's condition is said to be critical. His next of kin have been contacted.
You may also want to watch:
A forensic scene of crime was set up in Nelson Street as the hunt for the gunman got under way led by the Met's Central East Command unit based at Bethnal Green.
An appeal is being made by detectives for witnesses or anyone with information to call 101, or to go on Twitter @MetCC, quoting CAD 10007/19 NOV, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111. There have been no arrests so far.
- 1 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 2 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 3 Covid stats show cases rising across east London boroughs
- 4 John McDonnell is character witness for Poplar MP accused of housing fraud
- 5 Driver demo blocks Uber's Whitechapel HQ in termination appeals dispute
- 6 ‘Humanitarian disaster’ food shortage for East End families in poverty
- 7 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 8 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 9 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 10 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf