Teenager jailed for murder of ‘defenceless’ 88-year-old Margery Gilby in her Shadwell care home
- Credit: Archant
An 18-year-old was today jailed for 18 years after admitting to murdering bed-ridden 88-year-old Margery Gilby in care home accommodation in Shadwell.
Imran Douglas, 18, of Norman Close, Romford, was only 17 at the time he committed the murder.
He pleaded guilty to the crime and was today sentenced at the Old Bailey.
Police were called to her care home room in Sonali Gardens, in Sutton Street at around 4.30pm on May 24 to reports of a burglary.
The teenager had stabbed and strangled the 88-year-old and ransacked her room.
You may also want to watch:
A nurse had been walking past Mrs Gilbey’s room when she spotted the door, usually always open, was closed.
Peering through the letterbox, the nurse saw a man in the room, and soon after found her suffering from a stab wound - with the rear window open.
- 1 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 7 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 8 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 9 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel
Mrs Gilbey was pronounced dead at the scene.
A post-mortem examination at Poplar Mortuary two days later gave the cause of death as strangulation and a stab wound to the neck.
Douglas was linked to the scene using CCTV footage seized by detectives at the care home. He was later arrested at an East London address.
Det Ch Insp Graeme Gwyn, from the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “Margery was killed as she lay in her own bed, in a place where she should have been safe. To see such violence used against a defenceless, elderly lady was truly shocking.
“Only Douglas can explain why an attempted burglary had to end in murder.
“I would like to pay testimony to Margery’s family who have demonstrated incredible dignity throughout this difficult process for them.
“Detectives arrested Douglas within hours of the murder, following the pain staking review of CCTV evidence and fast time inquiries.”