Three illegal immigrants arrested in raid on Whitechapel clothes shop
- Credit: Archant
Three illegal immigrants have been arrested after they were discovered working in a clothes shop.
Border enforcement officers discovered the workers were employed illegally during a raid on Cuckoo Fashions in Whitechapel Road on Tuesday.
Two Bangladeshi women aged 21 and 26 were arrested alongside a 23-year-old Indian man for overstaying their visas.
Cuckoo Fashions is set to be hit with a £30,000 fine - £10,000 for each employee – unless it can provide proof that checks were carried out to determine whether the three employees had the right to work in the UK.
Steve Fisher from the UK Border Agency said: “Illegal working has a serious impact on communities, undermining legitimate businesses and taking jobs from those who are genuinely allowed to work.
You may also want to watch:
“More visits like this are being planned for London and while we’re happy to work with businesses to let them know what checks need to be done on staff, those who do break the law should know that we are out there looking for them and they will face heavy fines.”
Cuckoo Fashions is an Asian clothing company with branches in Whitechapel and Forest Gate. Nobody from the store was available for comment.
- 1 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 2 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff explains the reasoning for dropping Jamie Turley to the bench
- 3 Fire crews fight blaze at pub in Hackney Wick
- 4 Mother and son taken to hospital during "severe" fire in Bow
- 5 Volunteers take food for Ramadan to neighbours on Isle of Dogs
- 6 Former Bagel Factory turned into creative studios to rent out
- 7 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 8 London elections 2021: City and East candidates make case for your vote
- 9 It was a big opportunity missed for Leyton Orient says boss Jobi McAnuff
- 10 Beer gardens reopening with face masks, sanitisers and cobblestones