Three illegal immigrants arrested in raid on Whitechapel clothes shop
- Credit: Archant
Three illegal immigrants have been arrested after they were discovered working in a clothes shop.
Border enforcement officers discovered the workers were employed illegally during a raid on Cuckoo Fashions in Whitechapel Road on Tuesday.
Two Bangladeshi women aged 21 and 26 were arrested alongside a 23-year-old Indian man for overstaying their visas.
Cuckoo Fashions is set to be hit with a £30,000 fine - £10,000 for each employee – unless it can provide proof that checks were carried out to determine whether the three employees had the right to work in the UK.
Steve Fisher from the UK Border Agency said: “Illegal working has a serious impact on communities, undermining legitimate businesses and taking jobs from those who are genuinely allowed to work.
You may also want to watch:
“More visits like this are being planned for London and while we’re happy to work with businesses to let them know what checks need to be done on staff, those who do break the law should know that we are out there looking for them and they will face heavy fines.”
Cuckoo Fashions is an Asian clothing company with branches in Whitechapel and Forest Gate. Nobody from the store was available for comment.
- 1 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 2 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 3 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 4 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 5 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 6 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 7 Truman Brewery offices, shops and restaurants plan gets green light
- 8 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 9 Shadrach Ogie back in contention for O's trip to Bristol Rovers
- 10 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust