Three illegal immigrants arrested in raid on Whitechapel clothes shop
- Credit: Archant
Three illegal immigrants have been arrested after they were discovered working in a clothes shop.
Border enforcement officers discovered the workers were employed illegally during a raid on Cuckoo Fashions in Whitechapel Road on Tuesday.
Two Bangladeshi women aged 21 and 26 were arrested alongside a 23-year-old Indian man for overstaying their visas.
Cuckoo Fashions is set to be hit with a £30,000 fine - £10,000 for each employee – unless it can provide proof that checks were carried out to determine whether the three employees had the right to work in the UK.
Steve Fisher from the UK Border Agency said: “Illegal working has a serious impact on communities, undermining legitimate businesses and taking jobs from those who are genuinely allowed to work.
You may also want to watch:
“More visits like this are being planned for London and while we’re happy to work with businesses to let them know what checks need to be done on staff, those who do break the law should know that we are out there looking for them and they will face heavy fines.”
Cuckoo Fashions is an Asian clothing company with branches in Whitechapel and Forest Gate. Nobody from the store was available for comment.
- 1 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 2 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 5 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 6 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 7 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 8 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 9 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 10 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'