Three men jailed over playground shooting
- Credit: Met Police
Three men have been jailed for a total of more than 50 years for a playground shooting.
Shibbir Ahmed, Shamrat Hussain and Forid Farhad were convicted of a string of offences following a seven-week trial.
Snaresbrook Crown Court heard how police were called to reports of a shooting in Brady Street, Whitechapel at around 10.20pm on July 15, 2016.
Four men were found with shotgun wounds but the suspects had fled the scene.
The subsequent police investigation found that Ahmed, 27, of Malcolm Road, Bethnal Green and Farhad, 22, of Rainhill Way, Bow, had entered the road and approached a group of people who were congregated in a play area.
You may also want to watch:
Ahmed pointed a weapon towards the group and opened fire.
The men were caught on CCTV fleeing the area, with Ahmed getting into a car driven by 32-year-old Hussain, of Benledi Road, Canning Towm, and Farhad running away on foot.
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 2 Refugee fighting £2,850 claim in lettings agency dispute
- 3 Cyclist in critical condition after 'serious collision' in Bow
- 4 Shoppers queue for bread on opening weekend of new Wapping street market
- 5 Shops reopening after lockdown now fear council rent hikes
- 6 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 7 Unmesh Desai: British Bangladeshi community is important part of the East End
- 8 Leyton Orient still not at the level top sides are says boss Jobi McAnuff
- 9 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 10 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
They were each found guilty last month of conspiracy to possess a firearm with intent to endanger life, two counts of wounding with intent and two counts of attempted grievous bodily harm.
On Thursday, June 28, Ahmed was jailed for 21 years, Hussain for 17 years and Farhad for 15 years.
Following the sentencing, Det Sgt Colin Hill said: ‘We are extremely pleased with the sentencings given to these offenders.
“One of the victims sustained serious injuries on the right hand side of his body, covering his right upper leg, hip and stomach area and all around his right forearm and elbow.
“Hopefully these sentences will increase confidence within the local community where this offence was committed.
“Three dangerous men have been taken off the streets.”
He added: “We would urge anyone who suspects someone of possessing a firearm to tell the police immediately, so that we can prevent offences such as this from happening.
“This case should send a clear message to anyone considering carrying or using a weapon that we will identify and bring to justice those intent on putting lives at risk. I’m incredibly proud of my team for their dedication in working to take these men off the street.”