Tipper driver is jailed for death of east London cyclist Alan Neave in Holborn

Alan Neave [inset] and cycle protest soon after his death

Alan Neave [inset] and cycle protest soon after his death - Credit: Neave family & LCC

A lorry driver has been jailed today for three-and-a-half years for the death of cyclist Alan Neave from East London almost two years ago.

Alan, 54, who had cycled from his home in Poplar every day to his music publishing firm in Oxford Street where he had worked for 30 years, was dragged under the wheel of a tipper truck during the morning rush-hour at the busy Holborn one-way system on July 15, 2013.

His death led to protests from other cyclists and a campaign for safer routes through London.

The driver involved, Barry Meyer, was sentenced at Blackfriars Crown Court today after pleading guilty last month to causing death by careless driving.

The 53-year-old from Walthamstow was also banned from driving for 10 years, Scotland Yard confirmed.

Doctors from the London Air Ambulance at Whitechapel fought to save Alan Neave’s life at the crash scene, but he was pronounced dead.

Det Sgt Cheryl Frost, from the Met’s Roads and Transport Policing Command, paid tribute to his family after today’s sentencing.

Most Read

“They have carried themselves with the utmost dignity throughout this process which has lasted almost two years,” she said.

“It has been an extremely difficult time for them, but their desire to assist us and support this investigation is testament to their strength.”

A statement from Alan Neave’s family in East London was released after the lorry-driver was sentenced.

It said: “Alan was a kind, loving, optimistic, law-abiding man who had many years of life ahead of him.

“It was his great misfortune to travel the same route as Meyer. We are relieved that there has finally been an end to this process and that there is some sense of justice for Alan.”

Former colleagues also paid tribute to Mr Neve soon after the accident. Robert Ashcroft, chief executive of PRS for Music, where Alan worked in the firm’s audit section, said at the time: “He was a dedicated and popular employee—we have lost a colleague and a friend.”

Thousands of cyclists took to the streets following the accident in protest at cycling conditions, after the London Cycling Campaign’s chief executive accused City Hall of “putting lives at risk” by failing to create segregated routes.

Ashok Sinha warned: “Numbers of cyclists killed will increase if something isn’t done soon. Something needs to happen fast.”

Cycling campaigner Veronika Pete, who lost her left leg after being dragged under a van in the Edgware Road, called for segregated cycling lanes at all busy junctions.

Work is already under way in east London making a segregated cycle route along the A11 Whitechapel Road and Mile End Road, leading to the notorious Bow Roundabout. Six cyclists have been killed along this busy stretch in the past three years.