Tower Hamlets has one of the highest rates of burglary in the country
- Credit: Archant
Tower Hamlets has one of the highest rates of burglary in England and Wales, according to the latest police recorded crime figures.
There were 2,305 household break-ins between July 2017 and June 2018, data from the Office for National Statistics shows.
This means that seven out of every 1,000 people in Tower Hamlets reported a burglary, one of the highest rates in England and Wales.
The statistics are based on crimes recorded by the police, and the ONS urges caution as some offences go unreported while others may be more numerous due to a change in the focus of the police or greater public attention.
However statisticians said there appears to be a genuine rise in burglary as it is a crime that’s “generally well reported by victims and well recorded by the police”.
You may also want to watch:
Overall, police recorded crime in Tower Hamlets slightly increased between July 2017 and June 2018.
Over the 12 month period, 32,149 crimes were recorded, up by 2% on 2016-17.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 10 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
That means there is a crime for at least one in every 10 residents in Tower Hamlets, well above average for England and Wales.
There were three killings in the borough and three cases of death or injury by dangerous driving.
Gun and knife possession offences rose by 61 to 326 incidents and drugs related offences also increased by 21pc.
However, theft one of the most high volume crimes, went down by 5pc.